This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Hello,
I have a cast iron barrel Bullet 2008 and want to retard the ignition timing but have no more adjustment on the points backplate , I understand that it is possible to move the points cam around to reset the adjustment, can anyone advise me the procedure to do this ?
Thanks
Our hosts have a how to guide on their website:
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... 6&_xt=.pdf

In short, you can either detach the points cam using a special tool and move it round a bit (easiest way) or you can detach the drive pinnion off the timing end and move it round a bit (complex way).

HOWEVER. It's been running with it there since 2008, it's very unlikely to have moved/slipped. Do you actually just need new points with more meat on them? Does it REALLY need retarding further? Is the auto-advance returning al the way? Both springs in good order?
Thanks for the replies ,
I’ve had the Bullet slnce 2016, when I first had her she would often kickback through the kickstart lever , I checked timing , new points , condenser with service , set timing with spark plug replacement tool , and checked with DTI , slight amount of adjustment was possible via points backplate (less than 1 MM , if I remember correctly), she no longer kicks back , but has a tendency upon starting to blow the carburettor off the rubber mounting when starting or at tick over , twice setting fire to the air filter in the toolbox . I spoke to a chap at Hitchcocks and he also seemed to think it was too advanced. I have bought the points cam extractor tool and would be grateful to know the correct way to set the timing up in order to take account of moving the points cam ( is it a hit and miss effort or actually a recommended procedure? ) and achieving some adjustment. In all other ways the engine runs beautifully
Thanks for your replies in advance
Andy Freddy wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:39 am
. I have bought the points cam extractor tool and would be grateful to know the correct way to set the timing up in order to take account of moving the points cam ( is it a hit and miss effort or actually a recommended procedure? ) and achieving some adjustment.
Did you read the .PDF document I linked to above? It's pretty comprehensive. If there's any of the specifics you don't understand, ask away.

For what it's worth, I set my timing with the advance locked in the fully advanced position with the dished washer tool. I also then tweak it because there is a huge amount of backlash on the timing pinnions making accurately measured points positioning an exercise in futility. Get it somewhere close then tweak back and forth by small amounts for best balance of running and starting. If it mostly starts first kick and doesn't 'pink' under load, you are there.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles