This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
Well if it were a CDI bike, it would at least have a decent capacitor, hopefully.

However, if you read the original post he says its a ci Bullet, i.e. Cast Iron (cylinder), not CDI!

Could be both if it's a 2002 Indian home market 350 Electra, not that many of those over here.

A.
By Wheaters
windmill john wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:23 am
Valve clearances too tight? That sounds like a possible cause. It would start cold, but no compression when hot; it could still run.
But the valve clearances open up when hot, unless this engine is different.
By stinkwheel
Adrian wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:39 pm
Well if it were a CDI bike, it would at least have a decent capacitor, hopefully.

However, if you read the original post he says its a ci Bullet, i.e. Cast Iron (cylinder), not CDI!

Could be both if it's a 2002 Indian home market 350 Electra, not that many of those over here.

A.
As you were. :oops:

Flat battery? A nearly dead battery would allow you to start the bike but run into issues after riding for a bit then "recover" with some rest.
By windmill john
Wheaters wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:58 pm
windmill john wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:23 am
Valve clearances too tight? That sounds like a possible cause. It would start cold, but no compression when hot; it could still run.
But the valve clearances open up when hot, unless this engine is different.
Exactly. Enough to keep running when running, but possibly too open (no compression) to start when stopped.
By Warren
Gentlemen, thankyou for the many replies. I’ve given all the easy things a really good going over and what I have noticed - what with all the engine turnovers - is that I seem to intermittently lose compression.
Time to pop the head I’d say and take a look-see.
She has 14k on the clock (400 with me) so a general clean-up is about due.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles