This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Tomshayes1
Hi Guys..

Engine now sorted.. Its on Plus. 040" 8.5:1 C. R pistons now....

I was out aving a ride with a couple of mates and they noticed when in change up into second gear the kick start lever drops down.. Any idea what might be the cause?.

Tom
By stinkwheel
On the Indian 4-speeds, that's caused by the layshaft picking up the kickstart bushing. It's an iron bushing on the indian 4-speeds and the fix is to replace it with a bronze one.

I'd imagine the setup on the Meteor gearbox is very similar so that bushing would probably be one of the first places to look... Or just ignore it, which is what I did for the first 10 years with my 350 until I happened to have the gearbox apart that far and changed it out.

By singleminded
When the kickstart lever droops, won't the pawl be engaged with the ratchet, thereby accelerating wear in the components? If so, I wouldn't like to leave it too long.
By stinkwheel
singleminded wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:06 am
When the kickstart lever droops, won't the pawl be engaged with the ratchet, thereby accelerating wear in the components? If so, I wouldn't like to leave it too long.
I don't think it does. Not appreciably in any case. Mine's done it from the day I bought it, any time you make a brisk getaway with a hot gearbox. I only recently changed the bushing out after many 10s of thousands of miles and the pawl was in good order.

I can't quite get my head round what exactly is going on mechanically because what you suggest really ought to be happening. Perhaps it's because the gearbox is rotating the shaft rather than the shaft rotating the gearbox. So maybe the pawl doesn't "catch" one of the notches and fully engage, or perhaps the gearbox is rotating so quickly at this point that the pawl can't spring back out fully before it's pushed back into its seat again by the sprocket. Because it's in the grease-filled part, these parts rubbing don't cause much wear in the short time it's going on.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles