This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Retarding the inlet cam by 1 tooth on a standard Indian Bullet 500 will liven it up, it will produce more power from the mid range upwards, with a loss of some bottom end power and it will rev higher. However, a 19t gearbox sprocket is not 'standard' and will pretty much kill it. I really don't see why people grossly over gear their Bullets and expect them to go faster. I usually go no higher than 18t and often stick with 17t, even on many of my tuned 500's.
Running a 500 on a 17 tooth sprocket leaves things flexible for real life road riding in top gear. My old Bullet would pull two up from around 27mph in top gear, to past the national speed limit and more, and remain reliable. I rode a friends Bullet that had the kitchen sink thrown at it, and a 19 tooth sprocket, and on twisty roads it was horrible. Where I could stay in top, and keep things smooth and fast, his bike was an endless and uncomfortable "melody" of unnecessary gear shifting.
Bullet Whisperer wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:24 pm
Retarding the inlet cam by 1 tooth on a standard Indian Bullet 500 will liven it up, it will produce more power from the mid range upwards, with a loss of some bottom end power and it will rev higher. However, a 19t gearbox sprocket is not 'standard' and will pretty much kill it. I really don't see why people grossly over gear their Bullets and expect them to go faster. I usually go no higher than 18t and often stick with 17t, even on many of my tuned 500's.
Thanks for reply, i did not get more power from it. I was hoping when assembling tjhe bike, with M20 muffler, flowed head and 30mm carb, it would be able to take on the 19T sprocket.

It runs very well at 90km/h.
I'm a little (..) afraid over over-revving and destroying the bike when i will ride that speed with a 18T sprocket i think.

But in meanwhile, the 18T sprocket is ordered and takes some time top arrive..

Something else..
At the moment, i have installed a fuel tap that has very good flow, but no reserve..
I did not want the cange on fuel starvation during running in (like i had on my jawa..) i have this fuel tap from our host, but when i blow through it, it seems to have the same resistance as a jawa tap.
will it be safe?
I would like reserve on the tap (now i have a litre in a can in a saddle bag)
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... rt%20500cc
It will not feel like you got more power from it with a 19t gearbox sprocket fitted! Any extra revs and power available from retarding the inlet cam will be rendered 'off limits' by your gearing, regardless of carb, exhaust etc.
As for fuel taps, the chrome, lever types as seen on British machines in the sixties and seventies are a favourite of mine and are available as either reserve or ordinary, but you have to choose. If you only have one tap, you will need a reserve one and just have to keep an eye on your fuel level!
Just about the only way you are ever going to over-rev that bike is with the gearbox in neutral and the throttle stuck open!

Forget this gearing up nonsense, your engine is NOT in a high enough state of tune to make it worthwhile, particularly if you live in exposed territory with lots of headwinds, and for the love of your big-end bearing please go back to the standard 17T sprocket!

While our hosts have some very impressive kit for sale, I have to say their range of petrol taps (at least under accessories) is disappointing! I would prefer not to post another supplier's details on here out of respect to them, but as what you want doesn't seem to be available here, try the on-line auction web site whose name sounds a bit like fleabay, and search for item number 392354516108.

A.
Thanks!!
Today i checked valve play, installed a 5 plt clutch (the original one grasped at the end of release) and mounted the footpegs 1 notch more up so they don't touch the ground so quickly when cornering.

One thing keeps circling in my miond (happens more often)
I've tried pilot jets 35 to 42
Last few days it was the 40. It gave more or less even idle with the air screw 1 and 3/4 rotation out, but after cold starting (with choke) and riding of whithout choke, it splutters and hickups a lot for 2 streets or so.

So, i tried a 42 pilot jet... i think the cold driving of is a little better and i had to turn the airscrew 1/4 rotation further out to get optimum rpm but..

This adjusting gives - tehg same- the optimal air/fuel ratio.. so why does it matter- for cold start- how big the pilot jet is, when the ratio is the same?

I thing i make a mistake in reasoning buit.. ghmm :roll:
'Morning to all..
With a 18T sprocket, what is a 'safe' cruising speed?
It is very established in my memory that a Dutch enfield dealer warned not to cruise over 80km/h, or the bullet will self destruct.

Although i understand slugging of the engine (low oil pressure, high strain) is bad, but physics told me that with the rpm the force on the conrod increases in square with the velocity?
And so, the conrod and big end and piston assy -especially on a long stroke bike- is strained very much?

Am i too scared for revving the bike?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles