This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
Not sure why I've posted, as I'm not going to look into this now...

But occasionally get neutral rather than second gear; 2017 model.

Not cable adjustment.
All other gears fine.
Definitely made sure my foot is away from the lever after selecting 1st.

Just annoying. I can do some changes, then just when you're not ready for it, it happens. Clutch in and into second no problem after the issue.

Certainly not going to strip the engine for a year or two or never hopefully! as it works at least 80% of the time it makes me wonder if it is a gear rather than a selector.

This is a trend, as my 350 also has second gear issues! or conspiracy....
By stinkwheel
I was meaning final drive chain tension. I've had shifting issues on bikes before which went away again once the chain was adjusted. Just something easy to check.
By windmill john
Have to say in forty odd years of riding, I’ve never heard that. I can’t see any correlation.

Quickly just Googled it and it’s mentioned a couple of times. Still can’t see if affecting actual gear selection rather than ease of selection. Still, I’ll have a look at the chain.
By PeteF
windmill john wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 am
Have to say in forty odd years of riding, I’ve never heard that. I can’t see any correlation.

Quickly just Googled it and it’s mentioned a couple of times. Still can’t see if affecting actual gear selection rather than ease of selection. Still, I’ll have a look at the chain.
I'm surprised you haven't come across this, a slack chain definitely spoils the gearchange.
By windmill john
I checked yesterday and was running at about 30 to 40mm-ish. I adjusted yesterday and will check out on my ride to work tomorrow.

Found it ‘interesting’.. that the left side has the head (28mm) of the axle and the right side has the 30mm nut. So, if you want to mirror the adjustment marks.....so I fitted a 28mm washer to the right side just to make it easier.
By windmill john
Sorry, I probably wasn’t clear. The left side is just the round head of the axle. The right side has both nuts.
So the visible gap to see the adjuster marks is different on each side.
This model does not have snail adjusters. To that end, I’ve ordered a couple of 30mm washers so they match.

Due to my current disability, see below, I cannot take a picture at the mo.
Attachments
5D54D1FA-AED8-41A4-B38B-600D1A39AB06.jpeg
5D54D1FA-AED8-41A4-B38B-600D1A39AB06.jpeg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 1654 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles