This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Jamesy
Stripped the main sump thread on my classic 500 efi 2019.Any advice on the best way to sort this? ie.should it be a helicoil repair or a bigger sump bolt and thread.
By Haggis
Its the same thread as a spark plug.
Any decent garage should be able to fit a Helicoil or a Timesert thread repair.
By Adrian
If it's 14mm, a V-Coil spark plug insert kit has the reamer tap needed for a DIY repair as well as short and long inserts. The tool has a 16mm hex top, rather than the square tang used on most threading taps, so you might already have a suitable socket and tommy bar for it.

A.
By Jamesy
Update. I solved the problem by running a 14mm x1.25 tap up the hole.There is a lot more meat up their as the standard sump plug only has about 4 threads.(not enough in my opinion).I ordered a longer threaded magnetic plug 14mmx1.25 and jobs a good un.
Attachments
IMG_20210424_163611.jpg
Sump plug.
IMG_20210424_163611.jpg (335.82 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
By Triumph_Dave
Hi Jamesy. Can I ask where you found the drain plug with the extra threads and internal magnet..that seems a far better part than the original and the extra threads should stop it stripping with future oil changes.
Dave
By Jamesy
I have bought many parts of our hosts over the past few years however I needed more than the standard plug which I can only see available.
By Jamesy
If you google and search 14 x1.25 mm magnetic sump plug you will see various well known seller web sites who sell them.The one I fitted was advertised for use on other motorcycle manufacturers.
By Meteorstorm
Well done,you may like to fit a dowty washer from now on too as that will allow you to go easier on the torque of the sump plug,i have fitted those to the rocker oil lines on a Meteor and they stay oil leak free at only finger tight,amazing.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles