This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Reynard24
After long term ownership of an Interceptor Mk1A, I hankered after another of Redditch's finest and have just purchased a 1955 500 Twin. I have checked Bacon, Hartley, May et al and all of the 1955 500 twins in their books have "Royal Enfield" on the timing cover but the bike I have bought does not. It has all the correct tinware , wheels, magdyno etc. so I'm wondering if an Indian Tomahawk cover has been fitted as some illustrations show this as bare whereas others have "Indian" on them.
The engine no. is for a 500 twin and it is listed as such on the V5. Any ideas?
By vince
Hi, the Timing cover on a 1955 appears not to have the oil filter at the bottom. Is this the type you have? Vince
By Reynard24
The oil filter is below and to the right of the oil filler cap housing and below and to the left of the oil pumps just as the illustrations show. It is only missing the “Royal Enfield” script or badge.
By Reynard24
Thanks Adrian I had seen those and for ‘55 it looks like it’s cast into the cover whereas the ‘55 Indian version is bare hence my question. Unfortunately the resolution on those pictures is too low to enlarge.
The PO had the bike from 1960 and has not changed the cover so it is either original or was changed a long time ago. I have no intention of replacing it but just wondered if it was original.
By vince
Hi, 1955/56 was when the factory changed over from cast in name to the riveted badge. So I would think its original. Bear in mind that factories started producing the 56 year after the return from the summer holiday break 55. Vince

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles