This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
This bullet of mine is equipped with the omega/accralite piston from our host.
I understand that as it is, delaying the inlet timing won't have any effect.
I was hoping the 30mm carb, flowing the head and m20 muffler would be enough to cope with tjhe 19T sprocket.

Are their folks having rebuild their distributor from bushes to ball bearings?

It is - mentally?- a difficult balance; 'Slugging' the engine will destroy the crankshaft, but too high revving also?
From my nature i am shy (scared) for high revving (hence my diesel bullet) and when i see on YT what people do with 500 bullets..?
The bushes work fine, if there is excessive vertical play they can be replaced (even with bronze ones as I recall) if the excessive end float upsets you, I've described how to fix it by either tapping one of the bushes partly back out or fitting shims under the pinnion. It would have to be severe to prevent the auto-advance working though, you'd probably see witness marks where the bob-weights were fouling something.

yes the type with the ball bearings are more elegant but the bush type aren't wrong.

Beware of fixing things that aren't broken.
jawa-enfield wrote:This bullet of mine is equipped with the omega/accralite piston from our host.
I understand that as it is, delaying the inlet timing won't have any effect.
I was hoping the 30mm carb, flowing the head and m20 muffler would be enough to cope with tjhe 19T sprocket.

Are their folks having rebuild their distributor from bushes to ball bearings?

It is - mentally?- a difficult balance; 'Slugging' the engine will destroy the crankshaft, but too high revving also?
From my nature i am shy (scared) for high revving (hence my diesel bullet) and when i see on YT what people do with 500 bullets..?
That engine still needs more poke to make the 19T sprocket worthwhile, a good carb and exhaust will free up SOME power, but not enough, I believe.

Slugging or lugging the engine is bad for the big end, while over-revving it puts a different kind of strain on the con-rod, so the idea is to keep the engine spinning in the appropriate rev range in all gears. You have already found out that the bike runs out of puff in top gear where the wind has more puff (!), but a more sensibly sized engine sprocket will also let you move off in first gear more easily as well as helping you a bit more against the winds.

Another option for your ignition would be the Lucas SR1 magneto as fitted to some of the later English-built Bullets, they will bolt straight onto the Indian Bullet crankcases, their armatures have a bearing at each end, and they aren't hard to find, you just need the correct auto advance unit, which CAN be harder to find.

A.
Well, i the bullet proofs itself for a while, i am thinking about a Beck electronic ignition,
As well as a 'bigger' oil pump but understand they have to be combined with a pressure relif valve and both make it a more serious investment?
I personally think the bigger pump is unecessary on an untuned or lightly tuned motor.

I actually took the high flow pump off my 350 because I felt it was swamping the rocker area with oil, causing it to burn excessive amounts of oil via the unsealed valve guides. It was also probably flowing too much oil which will tend to further cool what is already an over-cool engine. I've put that motor through a competative long distance trial which involves long periods at low speeds and high revs under high climbing loads and it showed no signs of overheating. I'd call that a mildly tuned engine with a meteor minor piston and gas-flowed head

On a more highly tuned motor, oil flow to usually needle roller big ends and cooling may start to become an issue requiring more flow.
Others may disagree, but if you are still using the standard big end, a higher flow oil pump isn't necessary. Bullets are an incredibly basic and well thought out original design that will plod on almost indefinitely, it's their owners that make them complex.
Okay, to be sure, i checked sparktiming again.
Before fitting the head i set it at 8.5mm fully advanced. Rechecked it after final thightening.

But this doesn NOT give 0.8mm whithout advance?
More at exactly at TDC?>
What should i -not- alter?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles