This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By jacobtue
Hi ... is it possible til mix one brand of DOT 4 brake fluid with another brand of DOT 4? ... regards Jacob
By papasmurf
jacobtue wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:02 am
Hi ... is it possible til mix one brand of DOT 4 brake fluid with another brand of DOT 4? ... regards Jacob
Given your life depends on it, no.
By Haggis
As long as its dot4 it wont matter.
Just don't use dot5 as its silicone and wont mix.
By PeteF
Dot 4 is Dot 4 - no problem.
What I wouldn't do is use the half can left on the shelf. It is very hygroscopic and, once opened, will absorb water vapour.
Best to buy a new can imho
By jacobtue
Thank you all for replies. Since I am new to disk brakes and brake fluids this is very helpful informantion... regards Jacob
By windmill john
As you’re new to disk brakes, I’m sure you’ve read it, but don’t get brake fluid on paintwork! It strips it pretty quickly.

This is the reason I’d rather have drums everywhere, but appreciate the braking quality of disks. I’m like some paranoid, bomb diffusing shaky handed surgeon when bleeding brakes or rebuilding master cylinders. I waste so many cloths, so much brake cleaner, it drives me mad.

I got initially excited by DOT 5 as it does not affect paint, but I don’t have a bike that uses it, so that’s irrelevant :roll:
By jacobtue
John, I read about the paint stripping effect, so I'm very careful about not spilling anything and wiping/washing if I do.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles