This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
Hi, can someone point me to a decent thread for this, I can’t find one.

2002, 350, going from 1st to 2nd getting more false (real...) neutrals. I used to give firm pressure and all good. Now I have to hold my foot on it, let out the clutch and it ‘hops’ into 2nd; that is, a slight neutral then drops into gear.

I’m reading conflicting info that the adjusting screw should be snugged up, some say it should be horizontal, or is it something else.

Thanks.
By stinkwheel
The detent plunger thing should have the slot paralell to the ground, otherwise the wedge in it won't be engaging in its notches. You can always unsecrew it and make sure it's springing in and out properly.

I'd take off the outer cover and just have a good look at things and wiggle them. See if something isn't picking up properly, perhaps the outer shift mechanism needs adjusting (it's on slotted screws)? Perhaps even take those bits off, clean them, dress-off any pointy bits that now look rounded, re-lube and reassemble.

I was about to say can't make it worse, but it in fact might well make it worse, but if it does, you now know where the problem is.

Here's a link to the google photos album I dump all the pictures of my 350 bullet in. There are loads of pictures of the gearbox being stripped and reassembled in it if you scroll down.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ewrxyg522LZNmFAp6
By windmill john
Thanks both, I’ll check that tomorrow.
The Indian videos I saw seem to snug that up until contact. Maybe, I’m guessing, when correctly set, it is horizontal......
By Chris [Stockport]
Thanks both, I’ll check that tomorrow.
The Indian videos I saw seem to snug that up until contact. Maybe, I’m guessing, when correctly set, it is horizontal......

How many turns you give it will affect how far in it goes - of course - and therefore how much pressure it exerts.
But yes, it must be horizontal when you've finished.
Chris
By stinkwheel
That plunger shouldn't be screwed all the way in. If you have, that could well have damaged it. I know because I've done this myself and bent the end so the plunger didn't spring out any more.
By windmill john
Thanks Chris, I realised I’d seen that and it is immensely helpful.
I’d say hopefully that should point to my issue and I’ll give it a bash at resolving.
By Chris [Stockport]
I also wonder if these comments from the Pete Snidal Manual will help?

I find this book extremely useful.

Good luck, Chris
Attachments
P1070635.JPG
P1070635.JPG (5.32 MiB) Viewed 2321 times
P1070634.JPG
P1070634.JPG (5.3 MiB) Viewed 2321 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles