This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PeteF
When I got the C5 I thought it was under geared so I went up from 17 to 19 teeth on the final drive sprocket.
After a thousand miles or so I have realised my mistake and reverted to 17 teeth.
As it's done over 3k miles now and should be well run in I took it for it's first proper "thrash" the other day and took it up to max throttle, revs and speed a few times. The gearing's fine. RE had it right in the first place - 'course they did :D
Just my opinion
By windmill john
I’m happy to stick with the standard gearing, for the simple reason I do not want to give up any of the acceleration.

Currently I use Ari for commuting, so acceleration is more important than top end.

We used to travel round Europe, love to go back. If we were doing more overseas, then maybe I’d go up a tooth or so at the front. I just have to accept the speed of Ari.
By Mann
I changed to an 18T on my 2018 C5 which was the sprocket size on the pre Euro 4 C5 and i am please with both the acceleration and top end. I prefer it to the 17T.
By stinkwheel
It takes a while of Enfield ownership to realise they actually need to be revved. The more tuned they are, the more revs they need. So you think you need taller gearing, then you realise you needed to wait a bit longer before changing gear.

That's where the old 4-speed boxes can be instructive by making you spank their arse up a hill in third because they'll lug in 4th. You eventually realise they aren't going to explode.
By PeteF
stinkwheel wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:23 pm
It takes a while of Enfield ownership to realise they actually need to be revved. The more tuned they are, the more revs they need. So you think you need taller gearing, then you realise you needed to wait a bit longer before changing gear.

That's where the old 4-speed boxes can be instructive by making you spank their arse up a hill in third because they'll lug in 4th. You eventually realise they aren't going to explode.
Totally agree SW
But then, the Bu8llet Whisperer has been telling us for long enough :D
By Wheaters
I've never understood the point of these people who post videos of how slowly they can get their Bullets to idle. I make sure my 350 idles reliably so it doesn't embarrass itself (and me) in traffic.

The rev limit of my bike is just before the valves bounce, with a bit in hand. Having taken it there just the once out of curiosity, I now know and remember the sound of "just before". If you're prepared to rev it, it certainly goes fast enough to keep up with modern traffic. Having said this, I reckon this engine was unnecessarily restricted by its poor cylinder head casting quality, in that the ports were poorly finished without much hope of decent gas flow, and by an over-restrictive factory exhaust muffler. I'm sure my bike wasn't the only one.
By PeteF
UPDATE
After a few hundred miles on 17 teeth I find the engine seems a lot "happier"
It's also, I'm pretty sure, more economical. It cruises at 60 with a smaller throttle opening than on 19 teeth.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles