This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Stephaned37
singleminded wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:06 am
I think not.
The MZ mounting is meant to isolate the engine vibration from the frame. Basically the engine can vibrate without transmitting this vibration to the cycle parts.
The Enfield head steady is meant to rigidly connect the engine to the frame so that the engine's vibrations can be damped by the mass of steel that it is connected to pose d’autocollant adhésif Antibes. The standard Enfield head steady is inadequate for this purpose, hence the benefits of making and fitting a stronger structure.
Very complete explanation I find. I think I'll take your advice.
By singleminded
Stephane, I don't know what the link you have embedded in your copy of my post is all about.

Is this spamming?
By windmill john
Anyone want to buy some case hardened stainless :roll:

Cut 6mm stainless to length. Rounded the ends. Drilled 4mm pilot hole, then 5.5mm... thought I’d sneak up on 8mm.
I’d gone too fast, I now have stainless so hard, Superman is scared!

I’ve buggered more bits than you can shake a stick at. I’ve started creating one from scratch again. I’ll sit in the fridge this time to keep the metal temp down ;)
By Nitrowing
Got a blowtorch?
https://steamshed.com/how-to-soften-and-anneal-metal/

"To anneal stainless steel, basically softening it, requires a lot more heat (1900°F / 1000+°C) than annealing steel in that an orangey-red color needs to be achieved with your blow-lamp, but it also needs to be kept orange for at least ten minutes – preferably longer to do it properly."
By windmill john
Just thought I’d comment.
Drilled the new bracket this morning; purchased cobalt bits.
Went for a ride and a noticeable difference. Still vibey, but the harshness of the vibes has been toned down.
By stinkwheel
A tungsten carbide centre drill is a handy thing to have in your toolkit. The stainless is often just hardened on the very surface so you can bust through it with the carbide centre drill then go back to the normal ones again.
By windmill john
This time I used iced water whilst drilling; didn’t want it hardening again.
I drilled a 3.5mm pilot hole, that went well. Then upped it to 6mm. The fun began when taking it to 8mm; and the other hole to 10mm
The drill kept getting jammed. I’d initially reduced the speed of the pillar drill as recommended, but it kept getting stuck.
In the end, I cranked the handle a lot more and forced my way through.

I’ve drilled many holes in steel before, but this is the first time I’ve been through 6mm stainless.
By PeteF
The trick with stainless is not to let it rub. Keep the pressure on, ideally in a drill press.
I find cobalt step drills ideal for s/s

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles