This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Kally
Hello again, I am asking has anyone fitted the Hitchcocks oil breather kit to mitigate oil sumping? This may be linked to my previous question about oil being pushed back into my air filter box. I have yet to try some of the suggestions but noticed the kit while browsing. I also remember the bike being quite "smokey" after being stood for about a month so could this solve my problem, any advice appreciated, regards kally :)
By stinkwheel
The simple solution to wet sumping is to park the bike with the piston on compression. This means the piston is in the top half of its arc of travel. If the crankpin is higher than the oil feed quill bolt, the engine can't wet sump.
By Adrian
What year is your Bullet? They're available for up until 2004, but after that there's no breather on the side of the crankcase to plumb it into, the engine breathes via the oil tank.

I think our hosts also state that the the breather kit doesn't actually STOP the engine wet-sumping, it just returns the oil to the tank when it does wet-sump instead of chucking it out over the back of the bike.

A.
By Kally
Hello Adrian, its a 2003 model so the kit should fit, will give a try, it should keep most of the oil in the engine lol :D
Attachments
bike pic 3.jpg
bike pic 3.jpg (354.8 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
bike 1.jpg
bike 1.jpg (55.32 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
bike pic 2.jpg
bike pic 2.jpg (378.21 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
By Kally
Hi Pete, clearly it wont stop the "wet sumping" I am just hoping it will mitigate the mess of oil being blown back into the air filter, and once fitted direct it back into the oil tank, I have now ordered the kit so we will see. I will let the forum know if it helps, cheers kally :)
By Adrian
@ Pete F,

as I explained, the kit isn't MEANT to stop wet-sumping, its purpose is to make sure that if an engine HAS wet-sumped, the oil that has collected in the bottom of the crankcases isn't dumped all over the back of the bike via the breather pipe when the engine starts up, but is returned to the oil tank.

THIS from our hosts' description:
Many Bullets, whether English or Indian, suffer from "Wet Sumping". This is when oil drains through from either the oil compartment or the timing chest into the area within the crankcases where the crankshaft runs. This normally happens after the Bullet has been standing for a few days. This will result in some smoke and/or oil being pumped out of the existing breather pipe over the rear tyre or filling up the later style catch tank. It will normally clear up within a few miles, but the mess has already been made. Whilst we can not stop the engine from smoking, we can stop the oil from making a mess.

We have developed this superior breather modification which redirects the excess oil back into the oil tank and then allows the tank to breathe in the normal way. This is obtained by a simple but clever design of extension to the oil filler neck which also has the added benefit of making it easier to fill the oil tank from a gallon container. Simple to fit and supplied with instructions.
Note: We do not currently have a modification for models built after approx 2004 - without the breather on the left hand crankcase (below the cylinder barrel).

Currently there are 2 variations available:

90060 - Up to approx 2003 with push and turn oil filler cap.

90061 - Approx 2003-2004 with screw in oil filler cap and breather on left hand crankcase.
A.
By Kally
Yes thanks Pete, I quite understand that and didn't order the kit thinking it would stop wet sumping, but have bought it to alleviate the excess oil it produces in my airbox when it does. Mine being the later engine of this type it has the very small "catch can" attached behind the nearside tool box and is a bugger to drain, so if it wet sumps on me (only done it twice) and I don't drain the can, it pushes it into my airbox but this kit will send it back to the oil tank, many thank for all the support, kally
By PeteF
Have a look here.
[url]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Documents/My%20Internet%20Pages/Enfield/Articles/breather.htm[/url]

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles