This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Andy C
Has anyone experirenced their Himalayan just "dying" for no reason when doing a reasonable speed?

Yesterday I was riding along at a steady 30 (30 limit) going uphill when the engine just died - no warning, no hessitation, it just died.

I pulled over switched the key off then back on and it started straight up on the button and I continued the rest of my 50 or so miles without further incident.

I'll have a poke around the wiring today to see if I can see anything, but it seems very odd that it fired up again with no hessitation.
By Andy C
Probably not as I had about half a tank - I will check the tank breather and connections to the pump.
By Wheaters
Fuel in the tank or not, there's a lot that can go awry between having fuel in the tank and getting it in the correct proportion to the engine!
By Cranky
If it were fuel it would spit and cough. But an immediate cut out is electrical. I could say check all plugs and connections but for what. You need this to happen again and stop it running so you can find it. Intermittents are a pain.
By Duke of Wybourne.
Andy C wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 am
Has anyone experirenced their Himalayan just "dying" for no reason when doing a reasonable speed?

Yesterday I was riding along at a steady 30 (30 limit) going uphill when the engine just died - no warning, no hessitation, it just died.

I pulled over switched the key off then back on and it started straight up on the button and I continued the rest of my 50 or so miles without further incident.

I'll have a poke around the wiring today to see if I can see anything, but it seems very odd that it fired up again with no hessitation.
Did everything else die, ie: dash ? I had a similar issue on another efi bike, and it was an internal fault in the battery. Took a bit of bother to track it down too. Check all the obvious simple stuff first, battery connections, earth etc.
By Andy C
Just been out on the bike for a run of about 40 miles or so.

During the afternoon I disconnected and re connected some of the connectors I could easily access, I also pulled the pump connector off and put it back on.

No hint of anything wrong during my run, dare I say it seemed to go better than ever.

Perhaps it was a connection - I'll just plod on and see what happens.

It still has the original battery by the way which seems to be pretty healthy.
By RocketRR
Its the ignition switch they are built dry and you will find carbon on the contacts.

Easy to strip down clean the contacts and use silicon grease job done.

Absolutely 100% surprised more havent had this.
By RocketRR
Mind you its scarey mid roundabout at speed nearly threw me into a car when mine did it.
I wrote to importers with photo evidence but they never got back I think I did a post for everyone to check the ignition switch as if fails at the wrong time it could be fatal.

Please everyone check your ignition switch contacts mine were carbon burnt to scary levels as said.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles