This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
The main jet is also called a metering jet , thats because it is in line with the needle jet and not the idle jet. Unless you are pulling up hill at 60MPH it is unlikely you will be reaching the max fuel your main or metering jet can handle.

Most town riding is the jet needle and needle jet.

Simple test, If you find you pull harder when you back off on the throttle when pulling hard your main is too big.

Unless you use full throttle up hill you could remove the main and leave it on the bench and you wont notice it.
Hi all,
Thanks again for all the previous replies. Progress has been slow, owing to not having had a nice dry garage to work in for a while. ;)
I bought a new Amal carb and new, longer, “original” silencer from Hitchcocks, cleaned the head, and lapped the valves. Also had one of the stripped engine stud threads repaired.

Old setup
Amal Mark I concentric, 107 Needle, 220 Main, 3.5 slide, pancake air filter (instead of the stock air box). Had a shorter silencer on it. Ran, but it had an unstable idle so would cut out waiting at traffic lights if not holding on the throttle a bit. Mechanic said bigger cut-out on slide would fix idle (though I don’t understand that since since I would have thought that the air flow at idle would be restricted by the long edge of the completely descended slide and so have no effect at that stage of throttle opening). Also suspected it was running rich.

New setup
New Amal Mark I concentric, identical to the one that was on the bike before - a 930 (900 series, 30 mm), with a pilot bushing (not an interchangeable pilot jet) and the newer/better float and float needle. Currently with a 105 Needle, 200 Main, 3.5 slide, same pancake air filter.

Current sitch
Initially we couldn’t get engine to turn over more than a few beats because of what seemed to us to be a fuelling problem. I say that because kicking over engine and holding finger over spark plug hole we noticed no wetness and no petrol smell. Triple checked that the pilot circuit was clear, it is. We’d get a very short run after flooding the float bowl by using the tickler or by syringing some petrol directly into the cylinder via the spark plug hole, but once that fuel is used up, nothing.
But fuel flow from petcock seems fine, and there’s no inline filter. We shortened the fuel pipe, so there was no U (to rule out the possibility of air lock).
We struggled for ages to even get it to idle. The breakthrough came when we closed the pilot air screw completely. Now it starts, and idles steady as a rock. We started it with the choke on, but releasing the choke made no difference to the idle running. Now the problem is that the engine sputters/chokes when we open the throttle past about a quarter (regardless of whether quickly or slowly). 😊
Spark plug is clean and correctly gapped, compression seems good, timing set, points gap checked, good bright spark, battery charged, pushrods correctly set. Last time I checked the spring-loaded advance gizmo it moved freely and I cleaned and regreased it. So I’m happy in that the problem seems at least to be limited to how the carb is set up, and/or air flow into the carb (admittedly, perhaps naively!).

Other observations for what they’re worth:
- Pressing down the tickler on the new carb doesn’t have the fuel coming out the float bowl gasket near as quickly as doing so on the old carb did.
- Is it usual that the part of the pilot fuel circuit has no O-ring or bushing where it passes up from float bowl to carb proper? (i.e. where it passes through the float bowl gasket)
- I have a COlourtune kit I'd love to put to work, but unfortuantely wrong spark plug hole size becasue i'd bought it for another bike. not having much joy finding an adapter or right type.

Does this make sense to anyone? I do love these bikes! Excellent learning curve :D
It sounds like you have an air suction leak at idle, because you say closing the air screw improves the idling. One way to check, if you can get the engine to run, is to spray an inflammable fluid, WD-40 or similar, or carb cleaner, around the joint between the carb and the cylinder head. If the engine note changes, it would be a positive indication that you have a leak because the engine would getting more fuel.
Hi hkbulleteer. I have a Mk2 32mm on my 535 bullet, but I guess they're not that different. I have tried 105, 106 an 107 needle jets - and it runs best on 106. Have you checked that the needle itself is the correct type? I also had a problem with spitting and dying at traffic lights. Upgrading to a 2.5 slide (from the original 3.0) made all the difference.
If your plug is sooted up, you must be running very rich. My main jet is 230 (tried 200-260x10) but for yours at 500cc probably 220 is OK. Pilot jet is 25 and OK (tried 25-45 x5). Good luck. ChrisD
It's worth mentioning do all the simple checks first, air leaks on the carb mounting etc, valve clearance, timing etc. Also, two invaluable pieces of equipment for Enfield fiddling are a compression test guage, or even better, a leak down test kit, and also an engine endoscope, preferably one that links to a laptop, so you can get a good look. That way you can have a look inside and see what's going on in the combustion are without any unnecessary stripdowns. All this stuff is relatively cheap (sub £30) a pop.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles