This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Hello everyone.
Still working on the asssembly of a '94 500 bullet, all new parts!
Besides i wonder how to make sure the lower connection of the oil feed pipe does not leak, here i have this set of washers from our host..
But.. Which goes where?

I'm not sure i need all of them?
In the pic;
2 viton washers
2 washers metal/rubber
4 made of aluminium.

Do the metal/rubber ones go between the oil duct end and the head?

I cannot find any info (drawing or else) on this, and afraid to screw it up..
A.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210221_143730_resized.jpg
thumbnail_20210221_143730_resized.jpg (234.66 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
So you have an equal union that screws into the crankcase casting:

Then the rocker reed oil pipe fits into the top of that and has a captive nut that holds it down:

According to the parts book, there should be an 8mm copper washer between the crankcase and the union. If it was me, I would use one of those M8 bonded seal washers instead because they seal well and at a much lower tightness, no need to over-tighten. They can also be removed and re-fitted multiple times with no issues. I also use bonded seal washers on either side of the banjo where the oil pipe attaches to the cylinder head.

The point where the pipe fits into the union is a taper-fit, there is no need for a sealing washer here. I put a thin smear of grease on the taper to help it snug down.
The top end gasket set I bought included four soft ally washers like yours. I used them on the rocker feeds, one either side of the top banjo fittings. No leaks.

The bonded rubber ones should presumably go at the lower end, one each side of the two way adapter. I have a Hitchcock’s pressure relief valve assembly on my bike and I’m wondering if the set you have includes extra washers for one of those.
The pressure relief valve comes with fibre washers. They're not ideal really, I replaced mine with dowty washers because it's easy to damage the fibre ones when removing the cover to check the tappets. I checked the added thickness wouldn't obstruct the oil flow from the banjo bolt first.

Any of them would probably work under that union though, it doesn't really need removing during the lifetime of the bike so once it's sealed, it can stay there.
Okay, to make sure, because i do not understand it entirely.
At the UPPER side, 2 alloy rings at both sides of each banjo, so make 4 at the top.

at the lower end, no seal, or a bonded seal? It is indeed a tapered fit, should not need anything?

In meanwhile worrying about the o-ring seals of the samrat rocker set; The rubber seals protrude a very small bit from under the assy.
Wondering if they also expand to the centre, blocking the oil way.
When mounting a used a lick of vaseline to hold the o rings in place when assembling them on the head..
There should be a sealing washer between the crankcase and the male-threaded nipple but not between the nipple and the bottom of the oil pipe. Any sealing washer would do. The parts book specifies a copper one. I would use a bonded seal.

I don't like the look of that o-ring on the rocker block either, it should be contained within its groove. Many people just leave them out anyway which can help prevent the scavenge pump going over pressure, the original ones do not have an o-ring.

I am using o-rings but I also have a pressure relief valve.
stinkwheel wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:36 pm
There should be a sealing washer between the crankcase and the male-threaded nipple but not between the nipple and the bottom of the oil pipe. Any sealing washer would do. The parts book specifies a copper one. I would use a bonded seal.

I don't like the look of that o-ring on the rocker block either, it should be contained within its groove. Many people just leave them out anyway which can help prevent the scavenge pump going over pressure, the original ones do not have an o-ring.

I am using o-rings but I also have a pressure relief valve.
I have better fitting o-rings, am testing them last 24H on oil-resistance but am not sure how they will cope with the heat. The rings are form an assortment box from a - kind of- supermarket,.

Or; degrease the stuff and apply a very modest film of gasket paste?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles