This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
Hi Presto, I’ll have to check as I’m sure I changed the main jet, can’t remember.
Speed is difficult. I’m only worried about mixture if I’m pushing it; pushing it for a Bullet that is, so 50 to 60.
My commute is only 8 miles now and the only area with a 60 zone only a mile long.
I’d just rather not have it too lean. On days off, I do like to crank the throttle.

I have just received my new Super Meteor piston. Once my 650 is out of the shed, then I will be looking to fit that, so more fiddling.

I might whip out the main jet tomorrow and see what it is, I’ll feed back.
By windmill john
Just checked main jet and it is a 210.
I did change it last year when I thought it was too weak. The old jet was a 200.

It’s a Monobloc, I assume 376.

Not sure what bore mine is. If it is not the smallest, then looking at the link below, I should have a 220. Of course if mine is a 15/16 bore, then I should be on a 180! No way.

http://amalcarb.co.uk/monobloc-series/3 ... tions.html

John
By Bullet Whisperer
Hi John, you could try 220 for the main jet, but take a look at the needle jet and make sure it is not a 105, it will probably be 106, but a 107 might be worth a try. I still think it must be running pretty well, with the plug looking like that, if there is no pinking, but going a bit richer won't do any damage.
By windmill john
Hi Paul, thanks for that. I did wonder about the needle jet. Pulling in third gear feels clean and very nice. Weird how it does not feel the same in fourth. Made me think about gearing.... if I can pin the throttle open briefly in third cleanly and not in fourth, I wonder if on a bullet I need to be at a higher speed in fourth... I thought 50 to 60 was it.

I’m going to check my needle jet first.
By Wheaters
windmill john wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:37 pm
Hi Paul, thanks for that. I did wonder about the needle jet. Pulling in third gear feels clean and very nice. Weird how it does not feel the same in fourth. Made me think about gearing.... if I can pin the throttle open briefly in third cleanly and not in fourth, I wonder if on a bullet I need to be at a higher speed in fourth... I thought 50 to 60 was it.

I’m going to check my needle jet first.
My 350 will maintain 70 on the motorway so I'd have thought a 500 should go at least as well. As BW says, going a bit richer won't harm it and you might find a bit more power.
By windmill john
Mine is the 350. As BW says and looking here:

http://porklips.org/~mason/moto/amal_specs.html

a 220 main jet could be the way to go. I’ll check my needle jet size as well.... if I’m paying for carriage.

Once it’s running perfectly at every rev range, my next task is to fit the meteor piston I’ve just received and retard the inlet cam by one tooth. I love Gupta and am now just tweaking.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles