This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
I have a (stupid) question about the oil feed quill on the right side of the crankshaft, the exploded view confuses me.
Do i need to mount the (cork) oil feed ring AND a rubber bonded seal in the worm nut?
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... ges%2F1618
My worm nut does not have any rubber seal in it. I though that's where the cork quill goes?

Would be tankfull for convincing replies; Halting the building off of the bike... :D
Well, then there was none in this engine or... is this the answer to the riddle; How did all the cork remnants get in the rocker assy's?

So; i need not both, but one of them.
I cannot say i am convinced about the quality of the cork seal i got delivered.
Is the bonded type (so i have to buy the compelte sprocket with the seal?) more reliable?
Attachments
wormnut.jpg
wormnut.jpg (154.62 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
By p
Is it just a quirk of the photo, or do RE timing gears really mesh so badly?
You buy just the worm nut which has rubber seal bonded inside it if you are not happy with cork version.
If it was my bike, I’d definitely buy the worm nut with the bonded neoprene seal and forget all about cork inserts.

My 2004 350 has the later type, I’d say RE changed to them for good reason.

Just to add, the quill (oil feed) bolt on my bike had flaking chrome and a patch of rust on its hexagon head (which sits outside of the timing case) and the surface of the quill itself seemed quite rough. I replaced it with one of Mr H’s stainless jobs, far nicer all round.
p wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 am
Is it just a quirk of the photo, or do RE timing gears really mesh so badly?
You buy just the worm nut which has rubber seal bonded inside it if you are not happy with cork version.
I hope it’s a quirk, because it looks like it’s not touching at all!
I was under the impression that the neoprene seal was bonded into the worm gear and if not it causes an oil feed problem.

If not, I’d still prefer one over cork (having experienced cork stuff breaking up and failing, or at least compressing over time and causing problems). But each to their own, I suppose.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles