This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By 73a
Hi i am a building a Bullet and i have to fit a new Bearing tube to the redditch swinging arm ,

My questions are :

1. How much longer should the Bearing tube be than the Swinging arm pivot point , the width pivot point of my redditch Swinging arm is approx 195mm.

2. Also the torque value of the 9/16 spindle nut for the swinging arm spindle.

I cannot find these values in any of my manuals,

Cheers ng
By Adrian
If the inside faces of the thrust washers clamp up against the outer faces of the bearing tube when the big spindle nuts are tightened (assuming I have understood correctly), surely you just need no more than a couple of thou clearance/end float so that the swinging arm can pivot freely without binding, but without excess clearance which would allow it too much sideways movement.

I admit to cheating on my Redditch framed bitzas by using Indian Bullet swinging arms with metalastic bushes, Interceptor 1/2" spindles, thrust washers and nuts plus a couple of our hosts' stainless steel spacers to line it up, and just clamp the whole thing up tight.

A.
By trophyvase
I would agree with Adrian - a couple of thou. Just sufficient for the assembly not to lock-up but not so much as to induce any significant lateral movement.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles