This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
You should pour about 200ml of oil into the timing chest, either via the tappet cover or down the holes in the rocker area.

I usually prime the crank using an oil can in the end of the quill seal until oil runs out of the front drain screw then replace that screw.

I usually then take the plug out, loosen the quill bolt and repeatedly kick the bike over until I see oil oozing out round the quill bolt. This shows the feed pump is primed. I tighten that bolt and loosen one of the rocker oil feed banjo bolts and continue kicking until oil leaks out round the rocker feed. This shows the scavenge pump is also primed.

THEN I try to start it.

It can take a few hundred kicks to do this so if your leg can't stand it, removing the plug, putting the bike in second gear and pushing it round the yard has the same effect of turning the engine over.
There should only be up to 30ml of oil in the sump under the crank under normal operation.

The timing chest holds about 200ml of oil before it reaches the level of the return hole to the oil tank. So you'd have to pump 200ml of oil through the rockers before the oil level in the timing chest reached normal working levels.
I pump about 20 squirts from an oil can into the crank via the end feed, as well as pouring in half a cupful or so into the crankcase after a rebuild, when one has been done. I also have the oil filter chamber full, as I remove the timing covers when changing a filter in order to fill it with new oil. I put oil into the timing chest via the inspection cover. After that, I just start the engine, the oil feed pump is located at a lower level than the oil [should be] in the 'tank' and crankcase breathing pressure, although low, will prime the scavenge pump if it needs it. If you just let the engine tick over, it won't be turning much, if any faster than if you rapidly use the kickstart, or push it around in gear with the plug out. I haven't killed anything by doing it this way [yet!].
Priming the crankshaft and sump very slowly.. I worried a lot for a moment when the crank moved a little inwards when a layed the engine down, but then remembered this was also the case with my BSA, and the central generator nut will pull it to the right.
(besides, used all the spacers, bearings are in place, but.. argh insecure moment)
Attachments
olieinkrukas..jpg
olieinkrukas..jpg (183.16 KiB) Viewed 1185 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles