This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
That’s one of the photos I was thinking of. The other was of the late George Pollard, who was a bike racer and bike shop owner at Dinnington, not far from me. George apparently did similar in Australia and fell foul of the law but got himself in the newspapers. His MOT tester, Roy, still tests my bikes, but now at a different location.
By stinkwheel
Nitrowing wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:08 am
As much as 'weight hinders acceleration' can lead down a dark path, it won't give you that 4mph.
The one very simple way to improve top speed (and fuel economy) is aerodynamics.
It's cheaper than mechanical tuning, it puts less strain on the engine and it's much easier to adjust.

Now, I know a lot of people might baulk at the idea of popping a fairing on but it really can be that simple.
Providing it's not an actual RE fairing. While they were "tested in a wind tunnel" my understanding is the results of those tests were never made public and for very good reason!
By vince
Hi, regarding the Rollie free photo, the owners manual for my CB 92 honda advised that riding position for maximum speed! Vince. Ps image the salt burns if he had come off!
By trophyvase
Not sure which RE fairing SW is thinking of - Providing it's not an actual RE fairing.

The Airflow wasn't for speed - but gave superb weather protection.
The Sportsflow was typical of the 'dolphin' fairing used for innumerable applications is the 60's.
The Speedflow was identical to the Avon racing fairing - with the controversial 'nose cone' - controversial because you couldn't easily see the racing number through the perspex.
This is the same design that our hosts still sell for a number of models - and a very fine piece of kit it is!
I think the extremely fast Hitchcocks 612 was timed at well over 110mph with this fairing fitted.

All very successful fairings of their type. :)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles