This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By David Crossley
Hi folks I have removed my electric starter from my Electra x 2006. After distroying my sprag clutch, so as a kick only bike now I have noticed an increase in kickbacks. I know I can purchase an advance spark unit. Will this help or is it more of a carb problem. Any advice appreciated. D
By ericpode
I think it is generally agreed that most Electras are already over advanced David so you don't need an "advance spark unit"
There are mechanical means of retarding your spark a few degrees including special rotor keys from our host. Search this and the other forum and you should see a lot of info on this subject.
By Adrian
Refining your starting technique as above is a no-cost solution. 8-)

The "advance spark unit" is in fact a spark DELAY unit to allow the engine to rev up a little on the starter motor before the sparks start to happen, primarily intended to save the very E/S sprag clutch which you have removed, so you don't need one of those.

A.
By David Crossley
Thank you so much I will take on board all advice, look into my technic of kicking over. Thanks for the advice of the advanced ignition.
I will post all further results. D
By John-M
keep the throttle closed or nearly closed, wide throttle openings are good for inducing kick-backs. As you have already discovered, kick backs are great for destroying sprag clutches

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles