This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By mart
I have just aquired a '68 350 engine that was rebuilt about 10 years ago, it was started a couple of times then and not run since. any advice please about how to recommission? thanks
If it was me, I'd put the battery on charge/order a new one.

While waiting I'd do an oil and filter change and check for anything distressing in either (I usually cut old filters open anyway to see what they've caught). I'd then pop the plug out, loosen the quill bolt and either repeatedly kick it over or take it for a walk about in gear to turn the engine over until I saw oil at the quill bolt. Then i'd nip up the quill bolt and loosen one of the rocker feed banjos and repeat the priocess until I saw oil there too*

Evict the spiders from the air filter.

Drain any manky fuel and put fresh stuff in.

With a charged battery in place, I'd check it has a spark and if that's all ok, see if it'll start. If there's no spark, I'd probably change the plug and lightly file the points before getting excited/worried.

*On a Reddich one, I'm not 100% sure if it would feed the rockers at this kind of engine speed, you might be looking for oil returning to the oil tank to ensure the scavenge oilways are primed?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles