This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
If i'm riding old Triumphs and Enfield's a lot I tend to put Mk1 Concentrics on them as my carb of choice and find they deliver the performance and reliability I am looking for without many niggles. Their relatively easy to set up and I keep the Monoblocs in the box and put them back on if I come to sell so they remain original to the bike. Mk 1 Premiers are my go to carb the minute the originals start acting up
Presto wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:04 pm
It does not follow that a bigger carb = bigger power. Often it’s the opposite.

I get this. I wasn’t fitting the carb for this reason. Two reasons for me. I wanted to see if Gupta started easier with this Mk1, but also, I got the carb for an excellent price. At the price, it was worth buying and trying.

I recall the point you mentioning in the Airhead world. Some people fitting 40mm carbs to bikes destined for 32mm and then wondering why the setup was so hard. You can get more power, but often sacrificing other areas.
Airhead world = BMW?

A friend of mine has just finished classic racing on a BMW twin outfit. The carbs of choice for these seem to be Dell'Orto PHMs, bored out to the max of 41mm.

The afore-mentioned Electra-Xs do seem to run very nicely on a variety of 36mm carbs, my current project will be sporting a Dell'Orto PHM38 (ex BMW R90S) as an experiment when it takes to the road, should that not be successful I have a PHF36 lined up, which I know WILL work.

A.
Yes, BMW.

As you mention, the R90S was the only model with Dell’Orto. A nicely set up pair of Bings can do wonders. A bit like this thread, Mikuni or Amal, Mikuni or Amal.

I’m sure every marque has the same thread.
No one heard of a Sudco!!! They are an extremely good copy of the Mikuni and they are ubiquitous here in Bankok to the point that no one in there right mind would by a Mikuni when a Sudco is 20 quid.

I bought one myself and on this forum is a write up of the conversion from EFI to the simple sudco. ( EFI no more)

My first impression was of the quality,--it was a very nicely machined carb but it comes with no instruction at all infact if you dont know what you are doing don't buy one .

I bought mine off a picture on the internet,--Lazada same like your Ebay. It turned out to be a 2 stroke carb. The needle jet is different having a shroud or sheild over the needle jet opening into the venturi.

The fuel mixed with oil is a higher viscosity needing a bit more depression so a shroud around the jet is there to help suck it out.

The jet can be replaced but Im an awkward kinda guy and modified it. I drilled a 1/16 hole into the needle jet emulsion tube and took 2mm off the shroud. This helped enormously as the symptoms were extremely weak at low RPM popping and farting and then extremely rich at anything about 2000 RPM, so much so that it would just fuel out and the engine would cease to fire and flood out.

I removed another 2mm and it became almost perfect, I intend to remove the last 2mm in due course.

I love messing with carbs.

So it is a Sudco 33mm with a drilled out 150mm main jet, a needle I made myself and an idle jet of 35, approx 2-3 turns out.

Im not telling you what to do just telling you what I did.
Oh Ok well thats great. People telling me that a carb so cheap has to be a copy as most things are in Thailand. It had no jet numbers or recognition at all,---- another reason according to forums that it was a copy.

I was there fore convinced that it was too but did not care as I said the quality was top notch.

So --I am delighted that it is not and a bonafide Sudco/Mikuni.

Now we have that cleared up I did take off the last 2mm from the needle jet today and it runs lovely.
Maybe the American Sudco has a nice little side-line going where you are! Possible parallel with the older Indian Bullets where the "distributors" are known as Delcos in India. after the Delco-Remy company who might possibly have supplied the Chennai factory at some stage.

A.
The sudco 33 is not a first choice for the RE as you will know the stock carb was a CV. My choice of a round slide was simply based on the ease of tuning and the lovely performance of a round slide 0n a 350 I had in Malaysia.

I expected tuning time as this was a conversion from EFI and the ability to unscrew the top cap to remove the needle in a minute was attractive.

By the way the slide on this Sudco is brass and chromed, very nice carb.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles