This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Fred Hahn
Any suggestions on how to remove the magneto flywheel from the crankshaft without having the removal tool? It’s a 1947 RE125 with a fair amount of corrosion so parts are somewhat set in place. Help would certainly be appreciated.
By Wheaters
I’d say don’t try!

I did try once, in the early 1970s. It was on a small 2 stroke engine on my first two wheeler. Trying to get it off using a universal puller, I bent the flywheel.To cut a long story short, it resulted in me having to buy another bike for its engine. Expensive lesson learned there, then.

The temptation is there to try heating things up. Again, from experience, heating a magnet above a critical temperature causes it to suddenly lose its magnetism.... :shock:
By Fred Hahn
Thanks for the caution. I have a bent connecting rod and don’t know how to get to it without getting the flywheel off. A real predicament..
By Boxerman
If you download the workshop manual, there are drawings of the special tools needed to strip the engine. Using these drawings, you could make the extractor you need- or have someone make it for you.

Frank
By stinkwheel
And if it's that corroded, putting the whole thing in a bucket of diesel to soak while you're waiting wouldn't hurt anything.
By Fred Hahn
Thanks for the replies. They did help. I ended up getting the correct tool from Hitchcock’s. Still had to drill out an impact socket to accommodate tool hand bar, then use impact driver to break it lose. Worked brilliantly. No damage. Once I finish this project, if any one needs to borrow the extraction tool, let me know. ( I’m in the USA)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles