This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By mart
Im looking to buy a second hand 5 speed box. will the Indian 4 speed clutch fit? thanks
By Wheaters
Yes, I converted my 350 to a 5 speed box.

The input shaft of the 5 speed box is slightly different. You will need a new clutch hub (the most expensive new part after the gearbox) a new self locking nut to hold it onto said shaft and a different oil seal plate for the rear of the primary chain case.

The rest of the 4 speed clutch can be used.
By Wheaters
You’re welcome. I should also point out that the clutch rod assembly (two rods, ball bearing and release bearing stem) of an earlier five speed box is 5mm diameter as opposed to 1/4” of the four speed. So you might need to buy some or all of that. I understand that later gearboxes reverted to the thicker setup.
By Cranky
Wheaters wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:17 pm
Yes, I converted my 350 to a 5 speed box.

The input shaft of the 5 speed box is slightly different. You will need a new clutch hub (the most expensive new part after the gearbox) a new self locking nut to hold it onto said shaft and a different oil seal plate for the rear of the primary chain case.

The rest of the 4 speed clutch can be used.
Very impressive knowledge.
By vince
Hi, depending on what side your gearchange is on the four speed , your may have to convert the 5 speed to the same side. Vince.
By mart
thanks - its a left side change, but I will convert to right side. I'm still waiting for it to arrive from India !
By Wheaters
I converted mine from left to right shift myself for a cost of about £50. That was £25 for machining the “blank” outer case for the gear change shaft bush and about the same for a bronze bush, an oil seal and a blanking plug for the inner case, purchased from my usual bearing supplier.

I shortened the original, left side cross over gear change shaft then cut off and re-brazed the inner arm in the correct position. That was the trickiest part of the job, in fact the rest was easy. Next time I’d buy a purpose made right side shaft from our host; unfortunately these are rather pricey and would double the cost of the conversion.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles