This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
Hi All,
This morning, not a sausage from the starter button; Classic 500 2017 Euro 4.

Pull in clutch, bike starts.

Is it the normal (per other bikes) a clutch switch, side stand switch, neutral switch, or something else with these models.

Stop it RB, it's just a small glitch ;)
By Haggis
The clutch switch has three wires.
It is a two position switch which needs to work in the out position as well as the in position.
Sounds like yours is not making a connection in the out position.
The switch is removable and easily cleaned.

You need to also check the sidestand switch and neutral switch are working correctly.
Haggis wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:22 am
The clutch switch has three wires.
Yes, same as BM, you need to connect certain two to bypass .
But, this will need to wait until Saturday and then I'll get all three switches off and cleaned.
Am surprised if corrosion has kicked in already, but hey..
I'll feed back once done. Thanks again.
I always pull in the clutch before starting the engine anyway; it reduces the load on the starter motor as it doesn’t turn over the gearbox shafts. I disconnected the side stand switch on my C5 years ago.
By Wheaters
papasmurf wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 am
Very common on bikes these days.
Yep, even the one on my otherwise totally reliable Honda CB750 plays up when it feels like it. In my case, it's the neutral light switch.

Thankfully, no such item as a starter button on my old 350 Electra!
Last edited by Wheaters on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Wheaters
Rattlebattle wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:08 am
I always pull in the clutch before starting the engine anyway; it reduces the load on the starter motor as it doesn’t turn over the gearbox shafts. I disconnected the side stand switch on my C5 years ago.
As long as the cold transmission oil isn't causing clutch plate drag... ;)
True, but on other but the earliest C5 bikes there is a kickstarter that can be used to free the plates before starting the engine in the time-honoured way. The last two new Triumphs I’ve had both require the clutch lever to be pulled in to start the engine anyway. Not sure about my Honda, because with me it’s a habit to start with the clutch lever pulled in. I always do it in a manual car too; dry clutches don’t generally suffer from sticking plates. I find that a vehicle in daily use seldom suffers from a sticking clutch.
Rattlebattle wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:10 am
I find that a vehicle in daily use seldom suffers from a sticking clutch.

I've always found this is the saviour of many things. Carb issues, easier starting, no stale fuel, dried out oil seal issues, no need for chargers, , less drying out of things in general, nature doesn't move in...

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles