This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Haggis
The Japs can barely get a camchain tensioner right first time and enfield have been making long stroke motors before Mr Honda was born.
And they have been working fine ever since.
500 has stopped being made because of emissions regulations.
I can only imagine that there is a manufacturing fault with your motor?
Maybe the cases are a bit over size?
By Beezabryan
Nothing wrong with the Bullet engines until buggered about by them as knows better than the maker.
Has always been thus.
By trophyvase
An engine with a 60 year history of reliable running in the most arduous situations is hardly a design that is fraught with miscalculations, technical errors and engineering blunders.

It’s also a bit rich to criticize an engine for no longer being in production after having been in continuous production for a longer time than any other motorcycle engine! Ah well we’ve all met fans who know better than the team manager!!
By Cranky
This is the 500 UCE, 2017 with 4000km, an engine that has not been around that long and has now been discontinued. Im quite satisfied that the clang clang was that of the sleeve liner slapping in its casing as it is quiet now apart from tappet noise which I will mention later.

It has run in nicely, I could not say it has more power but plenty of torque . The 88mm bore pulls like a train, seeming un aware that she is going up a hill.

However the tappets collapse on a long run but recover slightly on idle. This reminded me of the old Shadow S2 and S3 RR that would clatter in an unbelievable way on cold start. The early Shadows were not much better I don't blame RE for making a similar mistake but my thoughts are to modify the Hydraulic block to a solid cam follower and fit an adjustable bolt and lock nut to bring the adjuster up to the access plate. This would of course mean shortening of the push rod which is a straight for ward job.

Either that or drill and tap some how the tappet rocker arm for an adjuster there. I hav'nt decided yet.

I appreciate that this is a bit over the top of normal Bike owners and Im not suggesting you do something like this but its what I do for a living since I was 15. Just telling you what I have done .

As usuall it will be a while--but Ille be back.
By Cranky
Taking into consideration comments on here earlier, an engine does not have sleeves unsupported. I measured the RE today and it has a cylinder of 55mm and a sleave of 155 mm. That means gentlemen that 2/3rds of the sleeve is unsupported hanging down into the crank case. This is not good. As said it was not piston slap but sleeve slap.

I have never seen an engine built like this, ---sleeves or liners need to be supported. A wet liner will sit on a shelf with a seal, usually of different thickneses to make the liner proud of the block by a few thou. It will be all clamped when the head is tightened

Another way is to have o rings either in the block or on the liner--many many ways of holding the liner. Its is not a good design to have a sleeve left dangling down into a casing by 5-6inches.

Haggis said that the 500 UCE has been discontinued because of emission control--well they would say that,--its easiest rather than say the engine is a disaster.

So looking at the tappet blocks today and Im getting closer to a plan. It may be possible to remove the interior of the tappet block piston while its still in the engine not needing to remove the piston and liner to get the then for full removal.

There is enough room to after removing the push rods to pick out the wire clip and remove the interior of the tappet block. I will then replace this part with similar and an adjustable bolt and lock nut.

Be back later --don't no when, but will be.
By papasmurf
Cranky wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:00 pm

I have never seen an engine built like this, -
They have been built like that for a very long time, and you appear to be the only one who has had a problem.
By Cranky
I don't have a problem if Im able to tolerate a noisy engine which I know is a trait of the Royal Enfield. Many people have spoken of their noisy motors.

I am most certainly not the only one.
By Cranky
Rattlebattle wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:44 am
It seems to me, Cranky, that you have a C5 citrus, as do I. I think you’ll find that the piston itself isn’t the issue; it’s the crankshaft. You may also find that the timing side main bearing is in fact ok. Mine was, though I replaced it. Although my crankshaft was deemed to be ok by an engineer friend, I have reached the conclusion that, in fact, the side play was caused by failure at the factory to fit the crankpin absolutely squarely. My engine was fine for about 3,500 miles, when it suddenly became rough. I now believe that this was caused by the misaligned crankpin causing sideways wear on the big end. This in turn caused wear in the piston/ rings, detectable by less compression, oily residue in the air box and and audible click at each end of the stroke when slowly kicking it over. The whirring that my engine also had was, I believe, caused by the generator windings touching the rotor. I found an odd bit of material when doing an oil change; it was a piece of insulating material off the windings.
Having put it all back together with new bearings I am now faced with the prospect of having to do it all again to replace the big end or crankshaft. The whirring has returned and the vibration is terrible. I’m currently considering my options: flog it as in need of repair, dig a hole and bury it after riding it until it blows up or do the crank and risk even more money being wasted on what is without doubt the worst new bike I’ve ever owned. It seems to me that, certainly back in 2015, they just threw the bikes together. Maybe as mine was a limited edition not available on the home market despite demand, the workers thought sod it and took their revenge...Good luck. Do report back. BTW I believe Harald is also a member of the C5 citrus owner’s club. :D
How are you doing with yours Rattlebattle
By papasmurf
Cranky wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:54 pm
I don't have a problem if Im able to tolerate a noisy engine which I know is a trait of the Royal Enfield. Many people have spoken of their noisy motors.

I am most certainly not the only one.
Noisy goes with the territory a loose liner does not, you appear to have or think you have a unique problem.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles