This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
RB and Cranky, stop it, stop it, stop it! I love my Classic 500 :evil: :mrgreen:

RB did warn me and I’ve only had Ari for a few months. I don’t want your issues.

But here’s a wierd one. Twice now, I’ve started him, little warm up, jumped on, clutch in and it leapt forward and stalled.

Now, I don’t mean your bog standard sticky plates lurch forward, I’m talking leap forward and stall as if you didn’t have the clutch in!
Cable adjusted correctly, new quality oil, lever pulled in. It’s as if the bike was totally unaware of the cable and was in gear; it wasn’t.

Still, I see it as a foible. I want it to be perfect, but I just tell myself that new, mine wasn’t, £4200. That’s half the price of many other similar size bikes.

But... if I end up like you two, I might get a taxi to Beachy Head :) :D
By Graeme @ Hitchcocks
The last few postings have been deleted ! Please keep things on topic and NO personal insults.

Thank you

Allan Hitchcock
By Cranky
Graeme @ Hitchcocks wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:41 pm
The last few postings have been deleted ! Please keep things on topic and NO personal insults.

Thank you

Allan Hitchcock
Excellent --good decision, Hope this is all over, not gentlemanly at all.

Now back to bikes.

Windmill--your sticking clutch is common on motorcycles, even cars can do it. My old Suzuki 1400 was very bad with the old compressed paper clutch plates.

Without engine running put it in gear, pull the clutch and rock backwards and forwards, --it will clear and you are good to go.

My RE does it too.
By Cranky
The 88mm piston is running in nicely now and I got to tell you it pulls very well indeed. It dont feel like a higher compression and it should not be as the extra width was taken back by a dish in the piston top as well as a 2.5mm lower crown.

I didn't mention it but the piston skirt was so long I had to notch it so if dodged the crank shaft half's and sits inside by about half an inch.

Ive not done anything with the noisy valve gear but I will get round to it as I have been busy overhauling a lathe I bought in Sumatprakorn last Sat in Bangkok. Thank god for google maps is all I can say.

It took a couple of guys and an old worn out lorry with a hydraulic crane to drag it out of this dingy workshop and onto my pick up . It winged a bit and the suspension went down considerably at 500KG .

Any way traffic jams in 35 degrees and a good few hours later I got it home and hoisted it out. I had no Idea what it was when I bought it but its a Torino Nodo step bed, about 6 foot with approx 10 inch throw.. It is---was a 3 phase but with a bit of trickery wiring and a 40 microfarad capacitor it starts and reverse's fine on single phase now.

6 days now and its going back together with some new bearings here and there and some serious work to the tail stock but all there.

So this will mean I can turn down some slugs that will sit in the hydraulic tappet blocks with an adjustable bolt and lock nut accessible through to an already existing plate on the block.

If you've got this far reading thank you.
By toudan027
Adrian wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:47 pm
Standard bore on these is 84mm, the CGT 535 is 87mm (90 mm stroke in both cases), piston skirt to bore clearance fore and aft is, I believe, somewhere in the order of 4.5 to 5 expert SEO Paris thou (metric =?) for a cast alloy piston this size, though some of our hosts' forged alloy pistons need a little more. The very similar Electra-X piston weighs about 400g complete. Gudgeon pin diameter 20mm.

Assuming you haven't got a cooked big-end you could also check for a loose crankshaft or gearbox drive sprocket.

A.
If you don't have a filter on you could try a bell-mouth with a gauze on it

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles