This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Tomshayes1
I bought a repro 6v Altette type horn from our hosts.. It was fine but has suddenly stopped working.. Its trying to work i. e. There is a very slight "bong" noise when you press the horn button so sounds like power is getting to the unit and points or whatever are pulling in etc but no real note at all... Is there any adjustment etc I can make before I look at it?...
By stinkwheel
My enfields both kill any horn fitted to them within a week of the MOT.

I've got a lovely old Solex one on my 612 but it also keeps conking out. There isn't really anything to break on them as such but it seems to go out of adjustment constantly.

Is there a locknut and large slotted screw about half an inch in diameter in the centre on the back (There are several different designs of these things)? May also be holding the mounting bracket on with a second half-nut. Loosening the locknut and adjusting the screw in short increments (like dialling in an idle screw) until it sounds is usually the way forwards.
By Tomshayes1
Hi..

There's no adjustment at all on the back unlike the old Lucas units... It's got the front adjustment under the big chrome centre dome nut.

Tom
By Tomshayes1
Turned out to be a knackered battery in the end.. Not holding charge.. As soon as horn button was depressed the battery immediately drained.....
Weird but sorted.... Assume this was also causing problems with plugs as everything Is fine now....

Like I said.. Weird

Tom

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles