This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
1st problem; when shifting from 2 to 3rd, popping back into false neutral between 2 and 3
1st remedy, instead of rotating the mechanism anti-clocwise for a bit, adjusting the detent plunjer as a first step, and reccomended by P. Snidal

Removed the plunjer, cleaned it, put it back and tightened it, yes ofcourse horizontally, you can feel it engage, and secured the nut.
Now it is shifting worse to/from every gear, so thightening the detend plunjer results in less thightened gear selector system and no selection at all..

What is happening here? This is not logic or possible? Yet it does happen?
Should i loosen the plunger so it hold on better to the gears?
How is this possible?
As a first step I'd suggest not to attempt to think logically about these Albion gearboxes!

I came across this as a method - may help - may be obvious - may be too elementary??

ADJUSTING GEAR SELECTOR

1. Remove outer cover
2. The selector assembly adjuster is located towards the front of the gearbox
3. Loosen lock nut on the selector assembly
4. Tighten clockwise the gear operator screw selector fully
5. Loosen the gear operator selector anti-clockwise until it clicks twice
6. Tighten the lock nut
7. Check gear shifting action on the road - not stationary.
8. If selection is still not good repeat procedure, but loosen gear operator by one or by three clicks.
Hi I admit my fix to suit my crusader is probably over the top but that is the way I am.
So as previous post regarding my neutral gear selection issue,I am convinced that this detent assembly was flexing within its assembly hole ,as I was too worried about tightening up the locking nut too tight.So I discarded the plain washer and turned up an ally shallow depth top hat shaped washer,this kept the assembly in line ,whether it helped or not I do not know but I was happier with it,I have also been informed by Sean a club member that someone within the club modified the gear selector by welding up the grooves and then remachining them deeper.This gave an improved gearchange

Colin
It must be said that the selector arc on these things as standard looks like they handed a drunk urang-utan an angle grinder and a bit of scrap steel.

False neutrals are fairly normal though.

Jumping out of gear can be chipped/broken dogs on the gear clusters. The detent is to put the gear in the right place, once engaged, it really ought to stay there.
I agree ,but the detent I took out was worn to the extent that the two depressions in it to stop the plunger rotating were worn to the extent that the plunger easily twisted from side to side ,this could not have been good for gear selection in such a shallow groove .

Colin
Hm the notification option does not work but okay, the detent plunger(not worn, is as new) has no effect no matter what position i set it.
Shifting back as well as shifting up gives problems.
Also shifting up to 2nd, and the after 100 meter or so it kicks back to first, giving the engine a terreible shock.

I will dissasemble both engine (replace india-bearings, look what kind of piston is in it, maybe replace it by the more safe 1:6,5 one?)
and take gearbox apart, replace bearings but.. don't know exactly what to look for next..
There are 2 things- by my knowlegde- you can adjust.
1 the detent plunger, should help to keep it in gear/against popping back, does nothing in what position whatsoever.

2 the shifter mechanism 'clock'you mean as shown in the vid.

Normally with a bullet you can choose from 2 options
1 problems shifting up
2 problems shifting down.
The art is finding the middle position between both..

My gearbox has problems BOTH shifting up AND down, popping out of gear despite pressing the lever down while riding.

Last ride it went, while accelerating forn 2 back to 1.
That's the moment i decided it should be taken apart, as any adjustment has no effect.

Maybe interesting detail; This bike was imported by a priavte person. I have the import papers and could not find the words 'export version'.
could this be important info?
What i do find is the mentioned mechanism has a lot of play..despite the bike has not run a lot, there's room between the parts.. I cannot remember tehre's so much play on the mechanism of my other enfield..

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles