This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By OldBoy67
Hi everybody.

I am currently the owner of several RE’s from the Redditch era which will probably have to be sold in the near future. The reason is that one of my hip joints is shot and the NHS tells me that I am a low priority for treatment, and consequently could be waiting up to 2 years for an operation.

So I cannot kick start a bike any longer but am fit otherwise. I can either pack up biking altogether or alternatively get a bike which has electric start. I have read the tales of woe regarding electric starters on more recent RE’s on many forums so the question is, are there any RE models (650 Interceptor?) out there that do not explode their electric starters/sprag clutches as a matter of routine? I have been looking at 535 GT’s but the fragility of their systems persuaded me that they are not really an option.

Any advice would be appreciated.
By Haggis
Don't think any of the uce efi bikes have any inherent starter sprag problems unlike the earlier pre unit motors that seemed to have very fragile sprag clutches that were doomed to fail.
535 gt or any of the uce classics or trial reps will suit you fine.
By Boxerman
The sprag clutch went on my 2009 EFI Electra, but it didn't disintegrate or damage any other parts. It just stopped turning the engine over and began making nasty noises.
I am led to believe that bikes from 2010 had an improved sprag, but the engine sprocket needs to be changed to fit these.
This is what I fitted to mine, it took all of 15 minutes to do the job.

Frank
By Adrian
Don't be too hasty flogging your Redditch bikes

Depending on what sort of lug is on the bottom end of the front down tube on your various Redditch frames, you might be able to fit an E/S Bullet engine in there with its starter.

The bigger cast lug won't have room for the starter motor, but one of my Redditch frames has welded on lugs for the big front engine plate bolt (OK, it's a stud) almost identical to what was on my E/S Electra-X, so an E/S Bullet's starter gubbins would fit happily enough.

That doesn't deal with the sprag clutch reliability issue, but the classic Bullet in E/S form still has the decompression valve for starting and stopping, which is where the sprag-killer stresses can build up on machines without an effective decomp.

That just leaves the question of where to fit a 14AH battery and solenoid, a little extra wiring and a starter button won't be a problem.

A.
By Nitrowing
Adrian wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm

That just leaves the question of where to fit a 14AH battery and solenoid, a little extra wiring and a starter button won't be a problem.

A.
Lithium batteries are tiny power houses :D

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles