This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Dave Coulson
Hi
Can someone please confirm the size of the steering lock nut , 2018 Himalayan...I need to find a spanner for it.

Also is it possible to turn the adjustor nut below it without a c spanner.

Am in a remote place so can't find a c spanner

Regards
Dave
By windmill john
Sorry cannot help with nut size, but on one of my previous bikes, you could tap the adjuster round with a thin screwdriver. If this can be done, remember, you’re just taking up slack, don’t tap if it is already tight.

John
By Doug Brown
Hi Dave . The nut on the top under the handle bar clamp is 30 mms.
Sounds like you 're having a spot of bother. Where are you and what happened?.
By Dave Coulson
Greetings from Chiapas Mexico

30mm that's great to know! Now I can try and source one.

Yes am getting a little bit of knocking from the bars when go over ruts. I want to see if I can adjust it back to normal using the adjuster nut beneath the locking one, failing that I have a set of replacement bearings with me but only want to go that far if necessary.
By windmill john
Have you done all the usual stuff, front wheel off ground, turn bars side to side? They should move smoothly, no notching. They should also ‘just’ fall to each side under their own weight.
Then whilst still off ground, grab the forks and firmly push them backwards and forwards? There should be no detection of movement.
By Dave Coulson
Hi John, thanks for the advice.. yes they turn pretty smoothly side to side but there is a little movement when pull push the forks , when I get a spanner of the correct size will loosen the lock and the adjuster nut and see if can inspect the condition of the top bearing when at it. If have to dismantle the whole thing to replace bearings so be it but would rather keep the new ones until really needed. Am hoping the whole thing just needs tightening a bit but let's see
By papasmurf
Dave Coulson wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 pm
Hi John, thanks for the advice.. yes they turn pretty smoothly side to side but there is a little movement when pull push the forks , when I get a spanner of the correct size will loosen the lock and the adjuster nut and see if can inspect the condition of the top bearing when at it. If have to dismantle the whole thing to replace bearings so be it but would rather keep the new ones until really needed. Am hoping the whole thing just needs tightening a bit but let's see
Itchy boots had to have the headstock bearings replaced on her Himalayan, I have heard other people mention the problem as well.
By Dave Coulson
Thanks Doug! I will check out the video and remember the clamps.
Unfortunately the standard tool kit on my bike doesn't include a c spanner which is a great pity because not the easiest thing to source but I will improvise somehow. Good news is found a wrench in the local market here that adjusts up to 33mm which will do for the top nut.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles