This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Fenton
Hi
Should my new 2020 bullet 500 be using oil, milage is now 1100 miles
Many thanks
By Haggis
Not heard any stories of uce using oil.
Plenty of questions about disappearing oil due to not following the correct procedure to check the oil level.
You will, have had a service at 300 miles so only 800 miles since it was changed.
By Fenton
Just seems to need topping up after a long run, no leaks just using oil
By papasmurf
Fenton wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:38 pm
Just seems to need topping up after a long run, no leaks just using oil
Are you using the correct method to check the level? How much oil are you topping it up with?
By Fenton
What would you class the correct way to check the oil level, I'll monitor the oil issue and come back to you, see just how much it is using.
I wondered if the engine was still settling in and would improve with time.
Thanks for any help much appreciated
By several
Put it on the centrestand, start the engine and let it idle for a minute or two. If it was already hot from a ride it needs less time than if it is cold. Switch off and leave for a few minutes to allow the oil to drain down. Then check the sight glass.
By david bailey
I have followed the oil level check procedure described above; however my bike shows no oil in the window after a ride and when I leave for a while, run it for a couple of minutes and turn it off and leave it for 5/10 minutes the window is absolutely full of oil with no level showing. I then have to leave it for a lot longer and catch a level in the window before it all disappears again. The bike is brand new with 50 miles on the clock and yes it has oil in there but how much is any bodies guess. I've had lots of bikes in my time but this is a new one on me so is it normal or am I doing something wrong?
By papasmurf
Grown men have cried checking the oil level on motorcycles with sight glasses and no dipstick.
There a big difference from hot to cold.
I would suggest checking from cold, run the engine for a few minutes, switch off, leave for two/three minutes then check the level.
(My new Honda only has about two millimetres gap between the top and bottom marks on the sight glass.)
By windmill john
The Classic 500 is different to anything else I’ve seen! In a GS, if the bike is cold and bike on side stand, just level the bike and look at level; simple. If on main stand and engine cold, look at level; simple. Yamaha Faser, as above; simple.
Most models I’ve read about, if the bike is level and engine cold, look at level; simple.

Classic 500.... miss the exact second in the space time continuum and you’ve no idea what the level is!! It is black magic!

Love the bike though.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles