This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By several
david bailey wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:23 pm
I have followed the oil level check procedure described above; however my bike shows no oil in the window after a ride and when I leave for a while, run it for a couple of minutes and turn it off and leave it for 5/10 minutes the window is absolutely full of oil with no level showing. I then have to leave it for a lot longer and catch a level in the window before it all disappears again. The bike is brand new with 50 miles on the clock and yes it has oil in there but how much is any bodies guess. I've had lots of bikes in my time but this is a new one on me so is it normal or am I doing something wrong?
Yes the standard procedure is famously erratic in its results for showing the level. I've often had that situation where it shows an apparently over full level above the glass and it's because a film of oil sticks all over the glass giving the false impression that it is too high. You are not doing anything wrong, it's just one of the quirks of these engines.

One alternative method I've used is to put it on the centrestand and with the ignition off, depress the kick start a few times. This has the effect of draining oil that may be locked up elsewhere down into the sump to give some sort of potentially more reliable reading.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles