This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Beezabryan
I've read discussions on the merits and demerits of maker, types and grades of spark plugs.
Likewise of coil & points or electronic ingnition systems.
I have also seen similar discussions regarding engine lubrication.
Some refer to "oily" engines affecting spark plug performance and of excess oil usage.
I'm wondering if there are common factors?
If so are there combination of oil and plug that will mitigate these issues?
By trophyvase
This has gone unanswered for long enough.
The short answer is ‘No’.
There is no combination of bits that will ward off these problems. They are problems that need to be addressed separately.

I’m very skeptical about makes of plug having this or that characteristic. What is another matter is selecting the correct plug – reach, material (i.e. iridium or other), and, critically, the heat range.
Many ‘carburettor’ issues are not that at all but caused by an unsuitable plug with an unsuitable grade – normally too ‘hard’ (or ‘cold’).
Many classic bikes are ridden gently and the recommend plug is often too hard, never getting to its correct working temperature and so it ‘oils’ up.
Fitting a softer plug in many cases solves the ‘carburation’ problem.

If oil is getting to the plug, that is into the combustion chamber, then either it is coming down (the valve guides) or up (blow-by through gap between piston/rings and bore).
If the plug is ‘oiling’ (as opposed to wetting with too rich a fuel mixture) then no plug will solve this. The cure will be fixing the (normally) wear problem to head and/or barrel.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles