This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Mann
The battery on my Euro C5 went flat and after charging now goes flat every few days. After charging it and leaving it for a day it only reads 11.1v. So i have bought a new battery, however when connecting it up as soon as I connect the wiring terminals the EFI pump turns on continuously (ignition key switch is off) if i turn the ignition key on then the fuel pump operates continuously as well as the EFI pump!! I am doing anything wrong. Nether were doing this before i took the old battery out.

Thanks
By Haggis
Its only got one fuel pump.
In the tank, runs for a few seconds when you switch on the ignition
Could be the abs pump your hearing
Not sure what you mean by efi pump?
You got positive and negative the correct way round?
By Mann
I meant the ABS pump!! and I feel like a fraud, in all my 30 years of DIY mechanics I have never wired a battery round the wrong way until today. Just goes to show you can always forget the basics
By Mann
Bike starts and runs, at standby the battery reads 12.1v, also at idle it reads 12.1v, with the throttle twisted and higher revs it also reads 12.1v. Does that seem normal? Form experience with cars the battery always reads 14v+ with the engine running.

I'll go for a ride later and will check to see if the voltage has increased.
By Haggis
Yes battery voltage should rise to around 14v when reved up.
Maybe toasted the R/R when you reversed the connection? I would have thought most things would have been polarity protected but you never know.
If your not getting any rise in voltage then something is wrong.
Have a backup plan if you go for a ride as when the battery runs down the bike will stop.
By Mann
Just rechecked the figures, its 12.7v with key off, 12.5v with lights on and 12.1v at idle. With increased revs it still read 12.1v.

So not sure if the RR or Stator has a problem. Maybe the problem existed prior to me fitting the new battery round the wrong way and was why the old battery went flat pretty quickly several times over (the old battery was only 15 months old)
By Haggis
R/R and the main ecu are the only things that are fussy with regards to polarity.
You can easily test the stator windings for continuity and output, on their own.
Sounds like your r/r is goosed.
Have any fuses that may have blown?
If it wasn't charging before you would not have been able to ride it any distance.
Once the volts start to drop the fuel pump and ecu will shut down.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles