This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By John R
Having sorted the removal of the 15t cog from the layshaft, I am now having problems with fitting the new close ratio gears; they are a very tight fit and no amount of heating them and drifting does the trick. The solution would probably be to use a vice, and I can take the mainsheet along to someone to do this.
However, the layshaft is in place as are the second and third gear clusters, all nicely meshed and with the sector in place. That's a fiddly job!
Does anyone know, if I remove the layshaft and gears, get the large kickstart /cog pressed on, will I be able to refit the gears with it in place?
By PeteF
John R wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:44 pm
and I can take the mainsheet along to someone to do this.
Ah, it's boat, not a bike!
(Sorry :D )
By vince
Hi, because of the need to engage the H selector simultaneously with the gears on both main and layshaft and the inner gear operator, its best to assemble the gears into the H selector , raise the gear operator has high as possible and offer up the cluster. Once the operator and selector are engaged the mainshaft gears can be slid onto the mainshaft sleeve. The layshaft can be dropped a little without disengaging with the H . When the mainshaft is sorted the layshaft can be wiggled into the inner bush. Its easier with the kickstart cog left off but just possible with it on. Lastly the mainshaft can be inserted into the sleeve and the dog and 15t cog slid on. Sorry difficult to explain easy to watch. As I stated on a previous blog I find the gears on Chennai boxes can be really tight. Its even worse when you mix and match chennai and redditch. It required heat and the press on one occasion. Im assuming that your gearbox is in situ with sprocket and sleeve still in place. With the box out and sleeve removwd its easy to insert all gears in a cluster. Vince PS Im glad thats over!!!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles