This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PO51UHD
Hello All
I’m still working on my Crusader frame / Bullet engine special.
Problem with gearbox, which is standard Indian 4-speed, circa 1992, to which I’m fitting rear-sets. There seems to be WAY too much movement in the selector/ratchet mechanism before a gear is selected (both up and down the ‘box). I’m wondering if the inner ratchet 110253 and/or outer ratchet assembly 111114 is worn - does this happen?
I’d appreciate any guidance on this and general ‘how to’ practical tips on setting it up properly please!
Thanks
By stinkwheel
It can wear or just be badly made from the get-go. Most of the moving parts are prone to wear. Sometimes the mainshaft nut gets loose too.

For what it's worth, there is usually a fairly decisive and long movement of the lever to get any gear as normal. You don't just snick through it. I often think of a drill scene from Dads Army. "Throttle-2-3, Clutch-2-3, SHIFT-2-3...". Exaggerated further by the extremely long gear lever.

As a general rule, if it is selecting gears and staying in them, you're mostly winning.

Our hosts do an overhaul kit which has most of the stuff that would wear included and includes sealed bearings so you can use gearbox oil in it instead of nasty, stinking grease. https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... peed/19019
By vince
Hi, see if the two selector springs are broken or worn. Also check that the adjuster plate is tight. If this is loose the travel will be excessive as the whole mechanism will move . Vince
By PO51UHD
Many thanks Stinkwheel & Vince, I think I’ll take off the cover, inspect the ratchets and either tighten or replace, depending on how they look
By John R
I have been having similar problems with my gearbox. It is true that , at there very best, they are not wonderful, but mine had developed a huge lever movement to engage 1st from neutral and difficulty with the other changes. It used to be a lot better. I replaced the ratchet mechanism but that didn't do the trick. I am giving it a general overhaul and fitting the close ratio conversion and a lot of other parts that may be worn, so I hope its improved after all that!
By PO51UHD
Back to my ‘92 Indian Bullet gearbox problems...

I’ve replaced part of the selector mech, and checked it’s all tight and lubed etc. Lever travel is now OK. But...

Problem now is the force needed to change gear. It all works fine on the bench, all gears select cleanly enough for such a prehistoric beast. When I come to ride it though, I feel like I’m giving myself a hernia, such is the force needed on the lever. I’ve checked, adjusted, experimented to the extent that I could take off the cover and adjust that dedent plunger thing in my sleep, but no amount of adjustment makes any apparent difference. I’ve even stripped the plunger assembly, shortened the spring (to reduce pressure) but still no difference. The chisel end is clean and polished, and I’ve been careful about maintaining proper horizontal alignment...

Any ideas why I’m experiencing such a stiff change?
By Wheaters
Does it engage more easily when the bike is stationary and the engine is stopped? If so, it’s more likely to be clutch drag than a gearbox fault.
By PO51UHD
Thanks, good suggestion, but no; it’s stiff when on the bench too...☹️
By Wheaters
vince wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:39 pm
Hi, try loosening the bolt on the neutral selector and see if its any easier. Alternatively all new selector parts may just need bedding in. Vince
Good idea about the neutral selector bolt. Reminded me that the one on mine needed backing off to allow free movement. Sold it about a year ago, though.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles