This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By ChrisD
Hi guys. My 1951 G2 is proceeding apace as parts arrive from our hosts and my cold fingers screw them on (it is deepest winter in Cape Town and our garages are designed to withstand the hot summers not the cold winters). The petrol tank is the last significant repair as the top was badly stained by old lead replacement petrol - but, see earlier discussions, I wish to preserv e the original paint.
All the inside rust has been removed with black molasses (see another earlier note) and now the paint must be addressed.
I’ve tried various solvents (i.e. turps, thinners, benzine (yes, with an “i”), isopropyl alcohol, petrol, meths, acetone. Acetone is a good paint dissolver! Meths is the only one that works to clean the paint (image attached, right half cleaned) without affecting it other than making it a bit sticky (!?). But it dries off quickly.
https://ibb.co/QpfQ5MX
So, the question is, how do I protect the paint all the dirt is off? Fresh duco clear coat, lacquer, WHY?
Cheers, ChrisD

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles