This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By 73a
My new compression tester says warm bike up then do compression test ? i had always done mine cold before now .

my two classic bullets ranged between 90-110 lbs pressure cold , which seems about right for one and other is starting to require more effort to start.

i feel cold is right IMHO

cheers 73a
By PeteF
I've always done them hot.
Normal running conditions.
Apart from anything else there won't be as much oil on the cylinder wall/rings in a cold engine. The oil does make a significant difference to the pressure reading.
If you have to do it cold for any reason, squirt a bit of oil down the bores and you'll get a more realistic reading.
By John L
Hot, cold.......If there is any real doubt about the compression, why not do both ?
That way, you will also have a worthwhile comparison between both conditions. Dare I say that if the "cold" compression is that low, you won't get the bike started to do a "hot" test, anyway ?.........
By Presto
It should be determined by the purpose of the test.

Is the test to determine a minimum compression ratio [to determine if there is a ‘problem’] or a maximum compression ratio [as in tuning for speed]?

If the former is the purpose – test cold. If the latter – test hot.
By Rattlebattle
I would have thought that squirting oil down the bore is a separate issue to whether compression is tested hot or cold. If compression is found to be lower than expected, adding some oil will help determine the reason for the low compression ie if adding oil results in a higher reading, the rings/piston are suspect, if not it’s the valves. Or am I wrong?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles