This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PeteF
You replace the slide with a richer one.
Various ones available from our host.
The cutaway controls mixture on the first bit of throttle opening which is when when hesitation can often occur.
By Kally
Thanks people for all the ideas, its seems the problem was one of many suggested but mainly carb set up, a good clean also never hurts I suppose! I also forgot to say that the float level was definitely on the low side and is now as the book says. The mixture is a tad on the rich side now which is how I am told these engines run best. It pull smoothly and strongly now with no hesitation and is certainly running much cooler than before. To be honest the fuel economy is so good on these bike that using a bit more fuel is well worth the benefit all round and if the spark plug needs cleaning a bit more frequently then so be it. Well sorted now and great fun to ride, thanks again kally :D
By windmill john
Of course they do say that if it is too rich, you can flush fuel down the cylinder bore diluting the oil and cause wear to your barrel etc

I wonder if that has really ever been measured..... not really a question...
By Wheaters
Petrol will burn at very rich ratios and I’ve always found it hard to imagine raw liquid running down under the piston rings and diluting the oil, rather than out of the exhaust port. I’d have thought carbon fouling would be more likely to occur.
By PeteF
Fuel dilution of oil is a thing but on an RE running a bit rich - forget about it :D
On a top fuel dragster running at high compression - yes, it is a problem.
By TomCraig
Had similar problem recently with engine occasionally missing on cold acceleration and again when hot.Had lots of ideas going thru my head while riding about the problem but the fix was easy...replaced plug and perfect running.
By Cranky
A dirty p[lug has carbon, carbon is conductive, the spark will take the least resistance and if thats down the center electrode to earth then thats where it will go.

Never wire brush a spark plug, the bristles are carbon steel and will leave carbon on the plug.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles