This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Kally
Hello again, went for a blast today and the engine occasionally coughs if you give it a fistful to quickly, it doesn't surprise me that big singles do this when cold but mine does it when hot also. It has actually died a couple of times when pulling out which is a bit disconcerting to say the least! As the bike had been laid up for so long I have ordered some new fuel pipe (very hard/brittle) and mini filter between the petcock and carb, also carb gasket set. The points look ok but might look into an electronic ignition set up if its not too costly, not sure what else to check? any thoughts welcome, Kally
By Wheaters
It sounds like a weak mixture issue. I’d strip and clean the carburettor, especially the jets, then spend some time setting it up on the bike.

Provided the ignition system is in good order, I don’t think fitting an electronic setup would make much difference.
By PeteF
Kally wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:44 am
will clean out carb as suggested but how do I check "and if needed" set the float levels? :roll:
Depends which carb you have.
By Wheaters
The link I posted shows how to do it on both the Mikcarb and the AMAL Concentric.
By Kally
Yes its got the Mikcarb and I am just waiting for the gaskets. Thanks to all and Wheaters link is very useful indeed. Will let you all know how I get on!
By Kally
New fuel pipes, and fuel filter, fully strip and clean carb (pilot jet grubby) new air filter and rubber vent pipes. Have been for a ride and when warm/hot I set the airscrew & tick-over screw as suggested (bit of a faff) anyway it seems 80% better but I still think the mixture is a little weak so may have another go lol, regards Kally. ;)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles