This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By stinkwheel
I've got a disc brake wheel on my 612 bullet. The wheel was a tidy second hand one off ebay.

I was looking closely at it today and something looks horribly wrong with the spoking on it.

From a distance it seems ok.

Look closer and there are multiple spokes that seem to be entering the nipple/rim at the wrong angle and landing up the wrong length. Seems like a dangerous amount of thread not engaged in the nipple on a few of them.

I've had a really good look (I've built quite a number of bicycle wheels, only a couple of motorbike ones) and it looks like a totally vanilla cross pattern with all the spokes routed to the correct holes and with the correct overlaps. The spokes are all well seated in the hub.

The spokes are stainless which suggests export model manufacture or home built? It's a 19" chromed steel rim. The hub is grey powdercoated.

I'm now wondering if this is the correct rim? Maybe a dum brake rim built onto a disc brake hub? It seems that the only "wrong" thing is the angle the nipples protrude from the rim at. Also, did the disc brake models even have chromed rims?

There is a part number on the rim itself:

Pretty sure it reads 9W M2/1.85X19 ADEFP 07-2004.

Now if that's an enfield rim and the last bit is a date code for July 2004, that would pre-date the use of disc brakes yeah?

Ok, another thing confusing me. Because in our hosts wheel rim section, it's expressed in bold, capital letters that drum and disc rims are not interchangeable. Yet they sell a disc brake conversion kit that has a hub and spokes to build onto your existing rim... I'm wondering if this is the result of one of those?
By vince
Hi, the angles are certainly wrong either an incorrectly drilled rim or the spokes are in the wrong order or holes. Vince
By stinkwheel
Beezabryan wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:23 pm
Oh Sheet!
That is not good.
For sure it's not going anywhere until I get it sorted out! It's passed two MOTs and done 1,300 miles on this wheel.

The main thing is deciding if I need to buy a rim or a whole wheel. Our hosts have some nearly new second-hand EFI front wheels for the same price as a stainless rim so it's probably a no-brainer unless I have a brain-fart and forget how much of a PITA alloy rims are to look after.

Still be good to know what the heck is going on with this wheel though, it's got me scratching my head.
By Adrian
The first UK import disc brake model with the disk as standard was the Electra-X introduced in er... 2004! Yes they had chrome rims. RE (India) actually came out with a disc brake conversion as an official accessory in the 1990s.

Your forks look like they're originally off an Electra-X (Later Electra-EFI forks were the same except for polished rather than powder-coated sliders).

Our hosts' basic disc brake conversion kit (part No. 92540) actually does tell purchasers to re-use the rim off the drum brake wheel, so it's possible someone has done a bit of DIY.

A.
By Adrian
Just for comparison, here's the wheel our hosts are offering as part of the more comprehensive disc brake conversion.

A.
By stinkwheel
I'm going to measure the dish then dismantle it and re-lace. I've looked at quite a few pictures of these wheels and no two seem to be exactly the same with regard to crossover...
By Daiwiskers
It may be because I'm looking at the pictures on my phone but the spokes look thin to me

Lacing pattern doesn't look right but I can't put a finger on why

Would it be worth getting a set of spokes and relace

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles