This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By mauri
yes, laced wrong.

they swapped the long and schort spoke.
and probably re used a drum brake rim.

if you lace it correctely and the spokes keep making a pinging sound, its the worng rim!
By Haggis
stinkwheel wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:35 pm
I'm going to measure the dish then dismantle it and re-lace. I've looked at quite a few pictures of these wheels and no two seem to be exactly the same with regard to crossover...
All my 19" Enfield wheels are laced the same as the picture I posted.
All your inner and outer spokes are all wrong and the crossovers are definitely wrong.
Look at the angle some of the spokes are pulling at the rim.
I agree with you to pull it apart and start afresh.
If you need any detailed photos please just ask.
👍🔧🔧🔧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
By Bullet Whisperer
If you look at the holes in the hub, you can see that two slightly different lengths of spokes are required, but I bet they are all the same length, so you are left with those threads exposed. Not a good look and a few too many threads exposed for peace of mind - a couple of threads showing would be acceptable here and there, but not pretty, but that wheel is not good.
By Daiwiskers
Definitely with Paul on this

They have used all short spokes

If you look at the spokes showing a lot of thread then follow them to the hub you can see they should be the longer spoke
By stinkwheel
Well, got it off today and took the tyre off. On looking under the rim tape, I could immediately see some spoke ends sticking up through the insides of some of the nipples by a good 3 or 4 threads so it was only a matter of time before one of them made its way through the tape and caused a blow-out.

I checked the dish then de-spoked it. 18 long spokes, 22 short ones plus a couple of mangled nipples...

Does anyone know what length the long and short spokes ought to be?
By stinkwheel
Just roughly re-laced it and it's all looking pretty good. There is some thread showing below the nipple on ALL the spokes now and none protruding through the nipple even as it's approaching full tension (accoustically right, a couple of mm to go on the runout). That's even with using two shorts as longs, all the nipples have at least 5 turns on and they don't have that "wonky" appearance.

There was a 3mm dish on this wheel before but with it all nicely tensioned there is zero dish. I'm going to go ahead and guess they're supposed to be zero dish?

I think whoever built this wheel didn't know there were long and short spokes.

I'm going to come back to it another day now. I get frustrated chasing a slight runout round a rim and find it's best to come back to it with fresh eyes (which generally tell me it's close enough already and to stop chasing a degree of accutracy that will be undone at the first pothole).
By stinkwheel
Bullet Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:24 pm
Don't forget, there will always be a 'blip' of anything up to 1 mm or so runout where the weld joins the ends of the rim together.
Tnahks. Yeah, I marked it on the rim in marker pen so I know to ignore it. It's very pronounced, I thought I'd taken some damage to the rim to start with.

I'm more used to bicycle wheels which need to be trued much better if you want to use rim brakes.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles