This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Kally
Hello again, I also appear to have a dead starter (possibly maybe) I will get round to thanking people regards the lighting issue I thought I had but am not sure how to reply ! (old git lol) When I bought the bike it had been a "wallflower" on display for the last ten years in a local B&B where I live. Obviously the bike is exceptionally clean and has a genuine 1,800 kl on it but needed recommissioning . I bought a new battery from Hitchcock's which arrived dry and after quite a faff managed to purchase the correct electrolyte/acid and have had it on trickle charge for the last 48 hrs. The bike now starts after a few prods of the kick start and runs well but the start button seems dead, I have naturally clicked the red power switch on the right side of the handle bars. Perhaps the battery needs more charging to operate or engage the starter but I am not even getting a click. I am fairly ok at mechanical stuff but crap at electrics, any suggestions welcome, Kally
By stinkwheel
Not even a click suggests the starter solenoid isn't either moving or being energised.

One quick thing you could try is shorting across the two "posts" on the starter solenoid with an old screwdriver. This ought to turn the starter motor. If it does, you know you have enough charge in the battery and that the motor itself is working. Just narrows down where you are looking for an issue.
By Kally
I can only see one electrical connection on the body of the starter motor, it appears to be isolated by a plastic washer and I have tried shorting it to the main body and frame but it seems to be dead/no juice. Part of my problem is there was no service manual with the bike and am not even sure where the fuses are. Will see if I can get a manual and keep looking, cheers, Kally
By stinkwheel
The starter solenoid looks like this. It's the thing that normally clicks when you push the button. Shorting between those two terminals with the nut on should make the stareter motor turn over. If it doesn't, either the battery is flat or there is a fault with the motor:
By Kally
Thanks stinkwheel, I will look for it in the morning (feed up now) possibly its under the seat or behind the battery box but I will find it ! many thank again, Kally.
By Kally
Hello me again! found the relay in the tool box and ordered one from Hitchcocks. The guy I ordered from said they are a common problem and that should sort it, however I have just fitted it tonight and nothing again not even a click. So will go on YouTube and see what I can find out before I try and source a new starter motor (have you seen the price lol). As before if you short the connections across the relay the motor does wiz around fast but does not engage the engine. Any ideas welcome, Kally
By Haggis
The sprag clutch that the starter motor drives is either stuck from years of non use or the previous owner removed it as it's doomed to fail anyways.
By Kally
Thanks Haggis, I will try and check out the sprag clutch but I don't understand why the start button doesn't do anything, as I say not a click, regards Kally
By Exile
"...but I don't understand why the start button doesn't do anything, as I say not a click, "

That's where I'd start and then follow all the wiring forwards to the new coil. If that's all hooked up and looking good then I'd go forward again to the starter. It may also be an electrical fault between the key and the starter..
Chase the loom from one end to the other.
Good luck.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles