This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
Hi,

if anyone has a spare EFI barrel (or your one-and-only is off the bike for any reason), please could I ask someone to let me have some measurements off it? I know the CGT barrel has a larger outside diameter cylinder liner as well as the 87mm bore, but I'm guessing the rest of the dimensions are the same.

What I'd like to know is:

1. What is the height (or depth) of the finned alloy muff from base gasket face to head gasket face?

2. What is the height (or depth) of the exposed cylinder liner below the base gasket face?

3. What is the total width of the top fin, measured both across in line with the crankshaft and fore-and-aft?

4. What is the distance from the edge of the cylinder bore to the edge of the fin on the side opposite the push-rod tunnels?

Thanking you in advance,

A.
Hi,

ideally the CGT 535, please! Some sort of explanation might be in order.

My current Electra-X-top-end-and-crank-in-a-set-of-classic-Bullet-E/S-crankcases project has a slight problem in that the crankcase mouth is bored out to 94mm for the original iron barrel's liner, but the outside diameter of the Electra-X cylinder liner in only 92mm. The 5 main cylinder studs and the M6 one over the tappet chamber line up OK and the barrel is a reasonably snug fit over them, but this still leaves a 1mm gap all round the top of the exposed section of the liner instead of giving it the support of the crankcase.

Now I have been informed by someone who has built a hybrid classic/UCE engine in a set of classic cases that the the CGT 535 barrel not only still has the 5 main cylinder studs in the right place for this barrel to fit, but it also has a 94mm O/D liner which is a nice snug fit in the earlier crankcases' mouth, only the small M6 stud hole doesn't line up and needs to be re-drilled to suit. I do happen to have a new CGT 535 piston in my pile of bits.

So the two main considerations are:

1. Can the CGT cylinder barrel be used as a direct mechanical replacement for the Electra-X barrel IN THIS INSTANCE? (I know the CGT barrel won't fit Electra-X crankcases, but that's not what I'm using.)

2. Is the shape of the CGT barrel and Electra-X head fins similar enough or too different for this head and barrel to be used together without the whole plot just looking weird?

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles