This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Roobarb
When I bought my 2015 C5 it came with a free flowing pipe, K&N air filter and Power Commander V. Bike ran well with little hesitation and good power. I have since felt that the pipe was too loud for my neighbours so I installed a baffle...
I'm sure you can imagine where I am at this stage...trying to dial in the fuelling to make the pick-up and judder much smoother without paying for a Dyno session. I changed the map to the base Dyno-Jet M27 001 501 from the free flow Hitchcocks Map and tweaked the throttle body screw for a more reliable tick-over...it's ok but not as good as it should be.
I really dislike not being able to simply adjust for any changes I make now and in the future without having to plug in a laptop and guess which map might be best for my hybrid exhaust/silencer settings.
The way I'm thinking is... do a carb conversion, but for simplicity and aesthetics I'd like to fit an Amal Mk1 rather than a Mikuni.
Given my wish to keep things simple and reliable, cost effective, replaceable and self serviceable when on the road can anyone offer reasons why I should persevere with the fuel injection system or why the Mikuni carb would be better for my needs rather than the Amal.

Thanks in advance for any input, regards Emma.
By Haggis
M27 001 501 is for a standard bike with stock exhaust and stock air filter.
Unless you put the rest of your bike back to stock you cant really expect it work properly.
By Adrian
I'm not going to argue in support of keeping your fuel injection, all my REs are pre EFI.

For carburetor choice I'd say the Mikuni is a better carb than the Mk1 Amal Conentric, despite the Amal's more classic looks. I used to have a VM32 Mikuni on a tuned BSA 350 and it was superb, though I no longer have that bike. The Mikuni has a hard chrome slide as standard for long wearing capabilities, the standard Concentric has a zinc alloy throttle slide running in a zinc alloy body (not good) as well as a hard-to-get-at pilot jet. There is a better version of the Concentric called the Premier Version available with a hard anodized throttle slide and proper pilot jet, but I don't know if that is the one which our hosts include in their Amal conversion kits, you'd have to ask them about it. Feel free to ignore me as I'm a Dell'Orto carb fan where Bullets are concerned these days, so what do I know? :mrgreen:

A.
Attachments
DSCN7422.JPG
DSCN7422.JPG (399.45 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
By Daiwiskers
To be honest I like carbs but on a bike that has fuel injection and a power commander fitted I would get it on the dyno

If you pay out for the carb you will never get that money back !

Make the most of what you have

You know it makes sense Dai

Possibly a quieter silencer could be bought with what you save (fit it before dynoing)
By PeteF
There's usually original exhaust systems available cheap from people how have changed.
The Amal carb is not half as good as the Mikuni IMHO.
By windmill john
Sorry to go off piste slightly, I have a 2002 350 with an Amal monobloc. Just stripped it for the first time, my it’s simple.

But, is there a preferred carb for mine? Just a question, as I’m not aware of any issues with mine. Get the kick right, starts first tine.

Let’s not mention when you don’t get it right!
By Roobarb
Thank you to all those helping guide my next move. I'm warming to the Mikuni carb option and ice cold about keeping the fuel injection system. I like to play with my bikes, change things around adapt...meddle, thus a carb is the most effective option for me. I've read as much I can find online and taken on board the first hand experience from those on this site and I would clearly be foolish to discount the Mikuni conversion.
For now I'll change a few fuel trims at the lower rpm range to see what happens then remove the PCV to see what the standard bike thinks of my exhaust/air filter set-up so that I have a base-line knowledge for the future...then comes the carb!
I have no prior experience playing with Mikuni carbs so I may need to ask for help but again I see lots of resources online and a carb is just a carb.
I take the point about not getting money back that I spend on a carb but I feel the saving for me will be in peace of mind that I can easily fix whatever fuelling problem that crops up...and I may even sell the PCV to part finance the conversion.
I'm sure people will be interested to see how things turn out so I'll keep you posted.
Cheers, Emma
By Daiwiskers
If you're going to go for a carb conversion I would go for either the mikuni or monobloc ,it won't tick over on the side stand with the monobloc but that's about the only downside.

The Mikuni is probably a better carb but in my mind the monobloc looks better and is easier to set up

Good luck whichever way you go

Have fun with it Dai

Edit 389 monobloc will be needed

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles