This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Allanfox
Thanks Pete, 100% agree and had arrived at the same conclusion, it’s the only way the parts make any sense, think we have to remember why it all exists, only an attempt at cleaner running to meet the environment regs of the time, ‘old’ bikes don’t have the same complexity in terms of breathers. I think doing this and being mindful of not overfilling the oil tank is the way forward, just don’t like a system that recycles all the crap that should be vented, also make a bit of space under the seat!!!! Many vintage racing bikes just vent into a tin can to keep any oil off the track with the advantage you can monitor what is coming out of the breather as it would actually be accessible!!! Thanks chaps!! :D
By PeteF
I know some RE owners who do just that - vent to a container that can be easily emptied on a regular basis.
By Wheaters
It’s still surprising how many different breather setups there were on these engines!

My 2004 350 Electra has no fitting for a crankcase breather on the left side. It’s possible to see a rectangular outline where it would have been, but the casting wasn’t machined, it’s left blank.

It also has no fitting for a breather at the rear of the timing case, that’s completely blank, as in there’s no distributor either (hence the name Electra).

The only breather outlet on the engine is the one on the top of the oil reservoir. The modified pipe I’ve fitted runs across to the rear and down behind the gearbox. No mayo so far, I’ll have to see how it fares in winter.
By Adrian
If there are no kinks in the pipe where the Hellman's ™ can build up, and it's all downhill from the breather union on top of the oil tank, it should be fine.

A.
By PeteF
Wheaters, the crankcase breather used to be at the cylinder base on the LHS and the boss can still be seen as you observe.
The last one I saw like this was a 2004 Sixty-Five.
It makes more sense than blowing water vapour into the oil tank.
It is quite possible to reinstate this breather but you would want to have the engine in bits I think.
By Wheaters
My breather pipe points at the inside of the lower chain run. In fact the pipe end just touches and trails along it. The rear chain has never looked so good.
By Wheaters
I’ve no intention to change anything now; everything seems to work very well since I removed the catch can and the bike does very well for a 350. 👍
By Allanfox
Cool, will give it a try on the AVL 500, just going to tap the bore of spigot on the unwanted breathers and block with a loctited screw, may need to open them again!!

My 350 has a bog stock breather system and works so well no desire to mess with it! Wind at my tail up into Norfolk on Sunday touched 70 going out, wind in my face coming back 45!!! Should have considered my route better, but bike runs a treat. (famous last words!)
By Kentish Man
Our hosts supply a S&B conical air filter for your machine, look at the top of page 18 in the latest 2018/19 catalogue. i have a similar filter fitted with a short silencer, have 125 main jet fitted (page21 part no 112180/125). hope this helps.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles