This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PeteF
Beezabryan wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:46 pm
My understanding is that the tank on enfileds is a partly structural member?

How does that work?
It's not Bryan. I don't know where this comes from but I've seen it quoted a few times.
It is true that some bike frames do rely on the tank for structural strength. Tiger Cubs were a bit suspect off road without a steel tank. We used to but a brace up in the tank tunnel as a stiffener when using the bike for trials with alloy tanks. Some of the real trick Cubs had an oil tank under the tank acting as a brace.
By mart
Top yoke PART No. SPECIAL35878 is cheaper and you can cut off the speedo hoop, ali rims ( 21 inch front) ali tank, ali or plastic mudguards, small non sprung trials seat, drill all the bolts, ali bodied shocks, ali engine plates, loose that rear frame, 1/2 width ali rear hub with ali sprocket, Continental GT swingarm, 520 chain and sprockets, smaller battery?? the smallest LED rear light you can find with a plastic mumber plate bolted direct to the mudguard, fit the smallest headlight you can find, ali levers and a Crusader frame. Every little helps as they say at Tesco! Oh and drill holes in everything.
Attachments
DSCN4031.JPG
DSCN4031.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1880 times
By vince
Hi, Alloy rims, hollow out all bolts, alloy engine plates. Look at each item and ask yourself how can I lighten this. Just by removing unnecessary items can save a lot in weight. . A redditch sold trial bike was about 309lb try getting to that as a target. Vince
By trophyvase
As a lesson in ultimate weight saving on a 'classic' take a look at Sammy Miller's Ariel.
Weight saving without compromising strength.

I think it was a 'winner' too!!!! :shock:
By Nitrowing
I'm going down a similar route with my 2005 Electra X, so I'm interested in what you can find.

I swapped to alloy bars - 450g saving
Engine plates - 580g saving
Kickstart lever - 650g saving

I'm looking for a plastic or alloy chainguard
I'll change most of the bolts for alloy and titanium
Our host's fork brace is far too bulky but a lighter one with glass/carbon mudguard would be great.
I'm awaiting a fiberglass rear mudguard.

I looked at swapping the steel rims for alloy but the cost...

:shock:
By Nitrowing
mauri wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:00 pm
recently weighted mine, at 131.8kg with 2 liters of fuel im getting close to my target weight of 125 kg.
That's impressive! My goal is 150kg but in full road trim.
I'd still like to see your list of modifications 8-)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles